Who is using NSW in their reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

riemannp

spike
As most of you know, there is mixed messages out there on the wire about benefit of using natual sea water for reef systems. I realize some folks do not recommend NSW, but there is a solid base of folks out there that uses it with success, including local public aquariums, etc. I am lucky to live in a city with a local aquarium, providing NSW for sale. I just arrive with my pickup, and fill up, etc.

If you have tried NSW, or are using it on a regular basis for your system, I would be interested to hear of your experiences.

Do you conduct your water changes 100% with NSW, or with a mix?
Do you disinfect your NSW prior to use in your system (let remain idle for a week, or ozonate, etc)?
Do you add alkalinity or salinity prior to use in your system?
Have you encountered any unintended consequences of using NSW in your reef?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I only Nuke it if I collect it in the Long Island Sound and it has a Red Tide in it. Usually I collect it from ocean beaches and just dump it in. I have been using a partial amount of NSW in my reef for 40 years with no problems. I would use 100% NSW if it were easier to collect and transport.

I only Nuke it if I collect it in the Long Island Sound and it has a Red Tide in it. Usually I collect it from ocean beaches and just dump it in. I have been using a partial amount of NSW in my reef for 40 years with no problems. I would use 100% NSW if it were easier to collect and transport.

What exactly do you mean by nuke it with bleach?

If the water has a smell to it or there was Red Tide in the water or if I just don't like the look of it I add Regular Clorox at the rate of one tablespoon to five gallons of water. The Chlorine bleach evaporates leaving nothing in the water but it oxidizes any organics and kills any bacteria or paracites.

If that scares you, don't do it

It shouldn't scare many...
this is what the EPA says about drinking water...
"If you can't boil water, you can disinfect it using household bleach. Bleach will kill some, but not all, types of disease-causing organisms that may be in the water. If the water is cloudy, filter it through clean cloths or allow it to settle, and draw off the clear water for disinfection. Add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water, stir it well and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Store disinfected water in clean containers with covers."

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/faq/emerg.html

If it still smells like bleach, don't use it. And "ONLY" "Regular" bleach can be used. Any scents or additives and you will kill all of your animals in seconds. Don't ask.

Back