Who is using NSW in their reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

riemannp

spike
As most of you know, there is mixed messages out there on the wire about benefit of using natual sea water for reef systems. I realize some folks do not recommend NSW, but there is a solid base of folks out there that uses it with success, including local public aquariums, etc. I am lucky to live in a city with a local aquarium (Seattle) providing NSW for sale. I just arrive with my pickup, and fill up, etc.

If you have tried NSW, or are using it on a regular basis for your system, I would be interested to hear of your experiences.

1. Do you conduct your water changes 100% with NSW, or with a mix?
2. Do you disinfect your NSW prior to use in your system (let remain idle for a week, or ozonate, or bleach, etc)?
3. Do you add alkalinity or salinity prior to use in your system?
4. Have you encountered any unintended consequences of using NSW in your reef?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

You have an impecable memory ... as you can see I'm tapping the population out there for more info. Please let me know if you use NSW. Thanks!

I moved up here from San Diego and a lot of people down there go to scrips aquarium to get there water. They have a massive sand filter that is open to the public. It filters water straight from the ocean.

If I understand this correctly, you would still have to add artificial mix to this to get the salinity up? It comes in at 28ppt?

If I understand this correctly, you would still have to add artificial mix to this to get the salinity up? It comes in at 28ppt?

Interesting question...I bet the dilution is because of the freshwater coming into the sound, but I really wonder if it would need more mixture added.

I am not sure as I am new to this but everything I read said that we want our tanks at 34ppt to 35ppt?? If this is true how would you not have to add mixture? Also does anyone know what the other measurements of this water is? Would you have to dose calc, mag, or anything else? Thanks for tolerating the new guy.

NSW is the only perfect water. It has proper PH. Alk, calc, mag, etc. I am sure there are some companys that do not sell pure NSW but I have used NSW for the longest time. When I go out fishing in the gulf, I drop a bucket and pull up NSW and bring it home with me to add to the tank. I have never had problemswith NSW. Sure you will have to add supllements after a week or so due to consumption of trace elements and such. But the initial water change gives your tank all the nutrients it needs for the time being.

We use it at Point Defiance in all of our systems except our coral prop tank. But thats just a matter of logistics of getting the water there. We need some plumbing revamping.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for some guy in the south Sound area that was advertising delivery of NSW. I guess he's pumping it out of the sound and filtering it. Don't know anyone using it though.

Do not know anything bout the sound, but the gulf is good old plankton, amphipod infested waters with all parameters perfectly tweaked out. I will never complain

Do not know anything bout the sound, but the gulf is good old plankton, amphipod infested waters with all parameters perfectly tweaked out. I will never complain

That sounds great... Do you deliver.? It's only a short drive to the NW for you, right? Oh and I could use a couple more mangroves too...I hear you might have one or two down in Florida. :)

Hey Chichas 01,

I have seen the CL ad also and 2nd the motion for input from someone who has actually used his water. If it checks out maybe we could arrange some group buys to offset exspense, it would be very cool to use are local water and as the guy from FL said NSW is perfect ( less local pollutants )

Todd

I'd use the Seattle aquarium water I just don't know how I'd get it home it would be perfect if I could pull a trailer with a couple of 55 drumsb and be done but I think it's gonna get a bit more complicated then that

I've tested the salinity of the puget sound waters in Edmonds and came up at 26-28 ppt. So yes you would have to add a synthetic mix to Puget Sound NSW.

I have yet to test other elements of the Puget Sound water but it isn't hard for anyone who lives near the Sound to grab a cup and head home to test it. If I get a chance this weekend I might just do that out of curiousity. Same reason I know what the salinity is.:D

Cheers,
Alex

Cool keep us posted

I have also seen 55g foodgrade barrel on CL for as little as $20 that would not take to much effort to make use of

Todd

Back