Who is using NSW in their reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I use seattle aquarium saltwater on a regular basis. I tested the calcium and it comes in at 380. a little low. it also has a salinity of 1.021. I mix a combination of synthetic salt and NSW to get the calcium up. all the other parameters are good plus you get the trace element factor from using NSW.

Also, seattle aquarium water is 5 cents per gallon. Damn cheap.

For what it is worth, I have used only water from the dock at Washington park in anacortes for two years in my cold water aquarium. I have never had any trouble. Granted the animals that I keep are captured locally so they probably have a tolerance to any issues the water may have, but they seem very happy. It allows me to do large water changes twice a month, though loading 10 five gallon buckets in the truck gets a little old :) I will probably try using the water to supplement my reef tank this summer. Ca is usually ~300 and sal 1.022. I usually "rub" the dock with two of the buckets which yields a great deal of little swimmers/pods especially in the summer.

If you have one of those current adapters in your car....you can use an old return pump.....put a garden hose one the return end and then just stick it in the water.....leave buckets in truck and direct the flow into the buckets with the hose.....lifting a hose is much easier on the back than those heavy buckets!

Sorry I missed this post until now.
I have a 20 year-old son that does most of the lifting these days :)
I thought about using a pump, but it would have to be pretty big to move 50 gallons from the water, up the boat ramp and into the truck in a timely manner, I try to be in and out quickly so I don't upset people launching boats. Though I have seen maroons take 45 minutes to launch a 20' boat...
Buckets are a pain, but in and out in ~7 minutes.
I will have to revisit the pump idea when my son finishes college!!

Back