Who scrapes?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What do you think about the looks of corraline?

• I scrape it off everything accepts the rocks!

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I only scrape the viewable panels..

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • I dont get much corraline on the glass/acrylic

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I dream of being corraline encrusted :)

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I'm just curious how folks percieve the look of coralline algae..

I recently tried scraping it off the side of my tank which is a non-viewable side, and I havent decided whether or not to do the back and other side too..

dood don't do the whole thing, if you like coralline.
but if you don't then go ahead and do it.
my first glass tank was getting covered with coralline but then it got bowed so we had to get rid of it :( .
Then i had some coraline back, but i scraped it off and now i miss it, now instead of that i have a green coat like on the back of the tank :p

I have lots of it. I havent scraped the front or sides in three weeks. I took a picture at two weeks with out scraping, I should probley take another when the lights come back on, and put them side by side. It needs a good scrapin.

I think I am going to go on a 30 day scraping campaign scraping at least 1 sq fot every other day until I get my back and sides black again.. So much purple makes the coral colors appear differently when I look at the tank as a whole..

Of course this is going to be a PITA..

What my old 20g high used to look like. The coralline growth was the best part of the tank. I now scrape the front of the tank every once in while and leave the other 3 sides untouched.

20high.JPG

Last edited:
I scrape the viewable sides only. That's hard enough for me to keep up with. I do know a few people that don't like it growing anywhere, and will scrape the back, too.

I scrape everything. I think the black background shows the coral and fish colors better than a pink/purple background. As long as I scrape every week or so it's not too bad. Plus the two urchins in the tank provide a BIG helping hand.

reedman said:
I scrape everything. I think the black background shows the coral and fish colors better than a pink/purple background. As long as I scrape every week or so it's not too bad. Plus the two urchins in the tank provide a BIG helping hand.

I agree but cant seem to keep up with it. I have lowered my ca and alk down to just NSW and the urchin is starting to do some good.

Don

My corraline has been pretty much non exhistant for some reason for 2 years. I did have a little spurt of it recently on the fall but it is mostly gone again. I noticed yesterday it looks like it may take off again. I wish it would only grown on rocks :)

Does corraline come in green?:D If so than I am doing GREAT!! The purple stuff could use some help though.

It does Moortim

Man with 16 feet of viewable front to clean I really could care what grew on the sides or back, lol

Mike

I'm finally getting it to grow in my 29gal, ive been wanting it since I started the tank a couple years ago! Bad thing, is I see splotches of green and purple appearing on the front panel... but it is there on the rocks somewhat, i think it's because I just recently started adding Kent liquid calcium and added an actinic.. Ive got a pincushion and pencil urchin so hopefully they'll chime in if it gets too bad:eek2:

moortim said:
Does corraline come in green?:D If so than I am doing GREAT!! The purple stuff could use some help though.
Yes, it does. I only scrape the front and part of one side that I have put a couple of decorative shells for critters to hide between them and the glass. When I move everything into the 70 odd gallon in a week I will be scraping the coralline off and adding it to the new tank. I don't have a background on the tank--so a natural one will be OK. Hey, at least it is free.

Anne

Wow never heard of this before.

I have seen and heard of them eating some corals but hermit crabs, Just shows more to learn.;)

My2heartboys said:
I have a black urchin and I think it has started developing a taste for my hermit crabs.!!!! Thankfully, hermits are fairly cheap.

Anne

My urchin would eat livestock if it was dead. I had an Anthias that died, and the urchin was helping to clean up.

I am a huge advocate for urchins in Reef Tanks, assuming you do your homework on the species making sure what they eat isn't somethign you like to look at :) I think I'd need 50 or so to put a dent in my corraline though. I need a Urchin "Rhomba" (Lil automatic vaccums) that eats within the zone I designate :)

I scrape the front and sides only.

Some of that is because I have notime.
I like the look (and if I didn't.. I'd learn to if you know what I mean)
lastly I can't get to back very easily.

Back