Who uses an EcoTech Marine Vortech pumps?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mine is in the tattoo studio , so there is a fair amount of ambient noise but at about 50% I don't hear any thing , seems to be wierdthat some complain about the noise ,
Seth had a bearing issue that caused noise and he called the manufacture and they are sending out a new wetside with no prob

They do quiet down a bit after use... adjust 'em after awhile to tune them as well. They are expensive but amazing. Reefcrest mode is the ticket in my mind.

Mine is in the tattoo studio , so there is a fair amount of ambient noise but at about 50% I don't hear any thing , seems to be wierdthat some complain about the noise ,
Seth had a bearing issue that caused noise and he called the manufacture and they are sending out a new wetside with no prob

I traded my pair of 40ES's for a pair of Tunze 6105's and a controller. I found the noise unacceptable and many others have gotten rid of their's because of the noise. You say you have to dial down yours to 50%? What's the point of having a pump that strong if you have to dial it down?

When I got mine, I thought they were the coolest new thing out there and loved them, untill the noise became a issue.
If the OP isn't concerned about noise, then they will be a great pump.

Are they very loud?

That would be my only real complaint about the pump. I had two MP40W's on my old 125 and they worked great but yes, you can hear them and they can be a bit loud when they're running full bore and aren't perfectly aligned. My only other minor complaint is that you have no control over their direction. Since they have such a wide flow and undercurrent this isn't a huge complaint but it is nice to be able to fine tune the direction of flow.

Currently I have 3 Tunze 6105's and a single MP40W running on my 180. I run the Tunze's in the front of the tank and positioned the MP40 to move water behind the rocks. The Tunzes are completely silent and fully adjustable for positioning but do add some heat to the water (possibly 1 degree or so). Once I find a good deal on a 6205, or a trade for my last MP40 I'll be running 4 Tunze's.

Mike

The grinding noise mentioned earlier is a sign of misalignment or a dryside bearing failing. Give it some time to break in. If it is still a problem Ecotech will most likely mail you a replacement with a return box for the old one free of charge.

Mine was more of a RPM whining noise. It ended up being the wetside bearings. Ecotech sent me a new one no questions asked.

Good deal, thanks for the info. Mine sounds like a kids bike with one of thoes cards in the spokes to make an engine sound. It's not loud, and it's not the knocking sound, like when you start a karailia pump up.

I cant wait for mine to get here. I just ordered a couple of mp10's for my 40 breeder that Im setting up right now.

All great info- thanks so much. I know I will be getting at least one MP10, but am trying to decide if I need two.

Fishkeeper- I would give it a week and then I would call Ecotech. One of the fist things they'll have you do is run the dry side alone without the wetside. It should be pretty silent. Put it on constant mode and bring the speed up and down. At full speed you will probably where the engine run, but no grinding/knocking should be present.

Sandra-I would get 2 just for the flow possibilities. If you can't justify the cost get one now and wait to purchase another like I did. In my peninsula you can tell such a difference. On the side with my vortech in reefcrest everything is thriving and the rock stays so clean ready for coralline spread, on the other where I have just a K3 temporarily the cyano is beginning to show and polyp extension is not nearly as robust.

Having the second one with both working together will provide not only a precise adjustment of flow for my tank and aquascape but also a great variation and randomness in current.

I'll just get two from the beginning. Barrier Reef is having their sale shortly so I'll just get them then. Thanks so much for everyones advice- I really appreciate it!

I recently put two MP 60's on the 700 gal tank at work. It moves some serious water, I had to dial back a little bit. Im still fine tuning it, but they rock and I wish I had the dough to use them also. Love the wireless connection between the two pumps. Thumbs up here!

I got two at the Barrier Reef sale- the wireless kind. I still need to figure out how to set them up so that I have one controller telling both what to do.

Back