Who will win? starburst or clove polyp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My green starburst and blue clove polyp have finally met and I am concerned about whether one will overtake the other. I am hoping that they have reached a "detante" and will coexist peacefully. I don't want one taking over the other because I like where they both are.

My question is do I need to get involved by pruning one or the other or will they leave each other alone?

Hello,
GSP's generally overtake most corals but if they have another direction to grow they may move that way as it will use less energy. It is really a crap shoot as the location towards the Clove polyps may be more desirable in terms of flow, lighting, nutrient collection, etc.
Just keep an eye on them and take the appropriate action as needed. One will not kill the other instantly but will show signs of irritation such as polyp withdrawal, discolored areas, slime, and an overall "different than usual" appearance.

HTH,
Kevin
PS: I moved it to the corals forum as it is not SPS (small polyp stony) related and is more likely to help someone with a similar condition.

They seem to have reached an understanding and each have covered half of the rock they inhabit. Its really quite beautiful and one of these days I will post a picture.

Back