who works on aquarium chillers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefman069

want more mini maxi
so i picked up a free 1/2 hp aquarium chiller today. the fan doesn't turn on and i don't hear the compressor turn on. where do i take it to get repairs to. do i take it to a heating and ac repair place? any of you work on chillers. let me know. thanks chad

I would guess a good auto ac place, but must sat a fan blowing across the top hooked up to a temp controller does jays as well for a lot less, my belief is the simpler, less chance for issues

I would guess a good auto ac place, but must sat a fan blowing across the top hooked up to a temp controller does jays as well for a lot less, my belief is the simpler, less chance for issues

Unless he is going to use it on a coldwater tank. :)

Hi Chad. Typically a refrigerant leak is the culprit, especially in older units from consumable parts such as O-rings. If due to a refrigerant leak the low pressure safety switch will prevent the compressor from starting to prevent seizure, the fan will not normally turn on unless the compressor does as they are usually on the same circuit. Take it to any refrigeration repair shop listed under HVAC in the yellow pages. They will pull a vacum on the unit and check the leak down rate, chances are it has a leak and the refrigerant leaked out.

They will then locate the leak , repair it and purge the unit with nitrogen. After purging it will be evacuated again and then recharged and op checked.

I have a degree in HVAC and repair chillers part time.

Hi Chad. Typically a refrigerant leak is the culprit, especially in older units from consumable parts such as O-rings. If due to a refrigerant leak the low pressure safety switch will prevent the compressor from starting to prevent seizure, the fan will not normally turn on unless the compressor does as they are usually on the same circuit. Take it to any refrigeration repair shop listed under HVAC in the yellow pages. They will pull a vacum on the unit and check the leak down rate, chances are it has a leak and the refrigerant leaked out.

They will then locate the leak , repair it and purge the unit with nitrogen. After purging it will be evacuated again and then recharged and op checked.

I have a degree in HVAC and repair chillers part time.

hey thank you for your help

Back