Who's planning to attend SEAMAX?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So... just a thought as I haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone from the forum yet. When members of our local motorcycle forum attend the annual expo, they plan a few meet times at specific locations. Gives people a chance to meet, chat, possibly eat and discuss the expo. And also a chance for a group photo.

Not sure if any of you would be up for something like that? Would make things much easier for us noobs here who don't know faces yet.

That sound's like a good idea to me - since I'm also a noob AND ride a motorcycle :second: - I'd be up for setting a time and place to meet-n-greet. PM me if interested.

SEA-MAX HOTEL ROOM BLOCK

Ladies and Gents,
We have finally finished our negotiations with a suitable hotel for our SEA-MAX guests that is only 0.85 mile from the Seattle Center Exhibit Hall!

The Courtyard by Marriott Seattle Downtown/Lake Union at 925 Westlake Avenue North, Seattle WA 98109

Rooms are $169 per night, significantly less than the $200+ per night that their normal rates are for July 2011.
You MUST reserve via the links on our website to obtain the special discount and amenities included (Free WiFi for one)

If you need to call in for some reason to speak with a live person, be sure to mention the Marine Aquarium Expo Room Block Rate to the clerk. Please see our website for more information, a few photos, and the ultimate links you need to book a room for SEA-MAX 2011 by clicking HERE: SEA-MAX
(scroll to bottom of page)

My roomie and I will definitely be planning on attending. It's going to be nice to get something of this caliber up here in the Seattle area

I will sure be there. This is going to be great and we need a huge turnout so they can keep coming back.

I have avoided bringing up this subject due to the potentially negative message it implies....but to be honest you've hit the nail directly on the head. The irony is that we really have very little infuence on whether SEA-MAX will be repeated after this year. That burden (I'm sorry to confess) rests entirely upon you hobbyists in the Pacific Northwest area. If we get a good turnout that makes our exhibitors happy, then by all means you can expect more SEA-MAX events. However if it is met with complacency and poor attendance then our exhibitors will likely give a thumbs down to doing it again. To explain: It costs these companies literally thousands of dollars to bring their reps, equipment, and products to your doorstep. As such, I truly hope that people will recognize the inherent value that these vendors (and speakers) bring to the show and then return the favor by showing up in mutual support.

We as show operators are really nothing more than managers when it comes down to the nitty gritty. We go where our vendors want us to go, so please help make them think "Seattle" when that questions comes up for 2012 and 2013. I want to return just as much as you want us to, but truth be told, we are not the one's in charge.

Last edited:
After seeing some of the turnouts on just the customer appreciation sales ect. in the area at some of our favorite LFS's, I think this will be one awesome event for us and Sea-Max.
I for one will be there, now if I can only figure out how to hide more money from the wife so I can go completely broke in July, I'll be a happy clam. :)

I have avoided bringing up this subject due to the potentially negative message it implies....but to be honest you've hit the nail directly on the head. The irony is that we really have very little infuence on whether SEA-MAX will be repeated after this year. That burden (I'm sorry to confess) rests entirely upon you hobbyists in the Pacific Northwest area. If we get a good turnout that makes our exhibitors happy, then by all means you can expect more SEA-MAX events. However if it is met with complacency and poor attendance then our exhibitors will likely give a thumbs down to doing it again. To explain: It costs these companies literally thousands of dollars to bring their reps, equipment, and products to your doorstep. As such, I truly hope that people will recognize the inherent value that these vendors (and speakers) bring to the show and then return the favor by showing up in mutual support.

We as show operators are really nothing more than managers when it comes down to the nitty gritty. We go where our vendors want us to go, so please help make them think "Seattle" when that questions comes up for 2012 and 2013. I want to return just as much as you want us to, but truth be told, we are not the one's in charge.

I've worked trade shows for the past 10+ years and you are quite right. If attendence is poor for the targeted audience, then exhibitors must take a good hard look into whether the investment is worth it or not. Not just for sales during the event but also the interest/traffic it will generate into their stores.

On the flip side, as an attendee I'm expecting nothing short of greatness! Greatness is what's going to get me to come back for future years.

Looking forward to this event. I've got it penned in on my favorite Tropical Fish calendar. Blue Tang Surgionfish a.k.a. Mr. July! Such a handsome fellow! :)

Just thought I'd provide an update of who our newest sign-ups are as well as a couple of drop-outs

Please welcome the following exhibitors who just recently signed up for SEA-MAX:

- CPR Aquatics (manufacturer)
- Fish Heads, Inc. (fish/Coral wholesaler)
- Kordon (manufacturer)
- Boyd Enterprises (manufacturer)
- Reef On (coral Seller)
- Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine (Official Publication Sponsor)

The following are businesses who have canceled their reservations for SEA-MAX:

- City Coral (Retailer)
- Wet Pets Hawaii (Retailer)
- Westside Aquarium (Retailer)
- Wilco Design Group (Manufacturer)

*note, I only mention these because they were once on our floor plan, but then changed their minds.
We are therefore informing people of the correction so as not to expect to see their exhibit come July.

Last edited:
I like seeing that a few more vendors/manufacturers have jumped in. That is why I plan on attending this event. I finally get hands on with some of these great new products from great companies that I am only reading about on the internet or magazines.

I have always been one of those who if you want me to pay $$$ for something you had better show me a hands on demo first and I want to touch and feel the product first. And this Expo is just the way those sponsors are going to boost their sales. Yeah it is great to see how someone can hipe a product up in the reviews but hands on baby, that's me. Take it or leave it. :D

The irony of it all is that the retailers have the most to gain from these events, by a significant margin. However they are also the first to get cold feet.
Those who can stick it out without flip-flopping, end up with all the sales and thus clean house considerably. Then again, I guess that's exactly how it should be.

The irony of it all is that the retailers have the most to gain from these events, by a significant margin. However they are also the first to get cold feet.
Those who can stick it out without flip-flopping, end up with all the sales and thus clean house considerably. Then again, I guess that's exactly how it should be.

+1 Couldn't agree more with ya MadMax

Back