Why did you choose this hobby??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

As most I started with FW tanks. First real tank I got was a 20 gallon, I then bought a Midas Cichlid because my friend had one that was a 13" ruthless killer. As he grew, I upgraded to a 40, then an 80. After a while I got tired of having a single fish in an aquarium. because anything that entered his domain was dinner(including my hand). So I gave him to another guy who had a 120. After that I turned my 80 into a Frontosa species tank. I had 7 Fronts in total. Then I moved, and ditched the whole tank. Didn't have a tank for about 2.5 years.

It wasn't until I discovered Nano-Tanks that I got interested in reefing. I was always put off by the old school scene where you supposedly needed a 50+ gallon tank, and a wad of cash. So about 4 months ago I bought my 20L and filled her up with salty H20... and here I am.

I don't really know. I love diving, fishing, sailing, pretty much anything to do with water. Two years ago I thought, Hmmmm I think it would be spiffy to have some pretty fish around here. I was thinking at the time that I could use that 55 in the loft from the old freshwater days. I did a little reading and found out that saltwater was more difficult but the fish were cooler. I read some more. What could I do to make the fish tank really cool, and even more difficult? Hey I know, how about coral? Neat! What kind of coral? I dunno, what costs the most and makes things as difficult as possible? Well a mixed reef of course. Yeah, that's just what I need, a hobby that costs a lot, takes a ton of time to learn to do right, and that will probably fail spectacularly at some point. I'm in!

I just traded one hobby for another. I thought this would be cheaper then ham radio equipment and more entertaining to the whole family. At this point I think it a toss up on the expense and more work for me but definitely entertaining to the whole family.

I bought a aquarium to keep my mind off smoking. Got my first tank a little over 4 years ago & had my last cig a little over 4 years ago. So far it has worked but now I am to broke to maintain medical insurance, thanks God I quit smoking............

I majored in fisheries a hundred years ago and couldn't find a job that could pay the bills so i moved into food! Still love the aquatic world! I even owned my own tropical fish store for awhile back in the 90's. Sooooooo.... it was a natural selection for me!

Back