Why do people put socks to catch water as it falls into the fuge/sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

King_Neptune

Skimmer Skuzz

Why not just have the water drain directly into the bottom of the sump...ive seen a lot of pictures with socks hanging above the water. Or am I mistaken?

and are these special socks? Or would any cloth bag/sock do?

Why not just have the water drain directly into the bottom of the sump...ive seen a lot of pictures with socks hanging above the water. Or am I mistaken?

and are these special socks? Or would any cloth bag/sock do?

Filtration, they are called filter socks and you can ge them in different sizes, and/or filtration capabilities. I use one mostly just to catch particulates that would otherwise be floating around in my water, i.e. digested seaweed from my foxface.

I put mine on the slab out side and blast them with my garden hose..
Works good.
I use mine for only one day each, then they are cloged with goo.

I have my tank empty into a separate container and filtering with Blue Bonded Filter Pads which then empties into my sump. The filter pads are alot easier to replace. Those socks can be a hassle to keep clean and replace IMO.

I take mine into the sink turn it inside out and run lots and lots of water through it, I have heard that dishwasher/ washing machine are good, but I'm not sold that you wouldn't end up with some soap residue, so I use just water.

I change mine a few times a week. I have around a dozzen of them and wash them all in the washing machine without soap twice. I invert them on the second wash. Works great with no problems for years.

Back