Why is this happening??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
I have had my tank for one year and I have the following fish in my tank that were added in the following order...

Coral Beauty
Fox Face Rabbit
Orchid dotty back
Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk
A pair of true percullas

All have resided very PEACEFULLY together for several month with the exception of the clowns who have been there about a month. I know that I am at capacity in a 75 gallon tank and do not plan to add any more but have been up front with the people who I purchase from and have been told I am not overstocked. Matter of opinion I suppose though.

My Coral beauty chases my Midas blenny and my Midas blenny bites my little clown on the tail, or at least tries to. My flame hawk and dotty back like to antagonize each other. My clowns and fox mind their own business and my coral beauty has resided peacefully with everyone until now.

Could adding a pair of clowns who have a host anemone could have made my once peaceful fish aggressive? My clowns don’t bully anyone? If not, are they getting aggressive because I am not feeding enough? Any thoughts?

Seems unusual to have a midas antagonizing anyone. They are usually a very peaceful fish minding their own business. IMO clowns with an anemone are usually the ones doing the bullying if anything. The coral beauty doesn't surprise me so much, as they can be stinkers if you get a particularly agressive one. Hawks can always be pests, especially when it comes to fish smaller than themselves, and dottybacks can be agressive as well. Sounds to me like you've just got a "fairly" agressive bunch of fish co-habitating. Keep an eye on them for a while and just make sure the chasing doesn't get too crazy all of the time to the point of over stressing the chasee. Also make sure there are no visible signs of damage being done to any of the fish or you might have to adjust your stock a little.

Seems unusual to have a midas antagonizing anyone. They are usually a very peaceful fish minding their own business. IMO clowns with an anemone are usually the ones doing the bullying if anything. The coral beauty doesn't surprise me so much, as they can be stinkers if you get a particularly agressive one. Hawks can always be pests, especially when it comes to fish smaller than themselves, and dottybacks can be agressive as well. Sounds to me like you've just got a "fairly" agressive bunch of fish co-habitating. Keep an eye on them for a while and just make sure the chasing doesn't get too crazy all of the time to the point of over stressing the chasee. Also make sure there are no visible signs of damage being done to any of the fish or you might have to adjust your stock a little.

Thank you! My Midas blenny is my FAVORITE fish and she (i decided she is a she) has never buggede anyone until the clowns. The only thing I can think of is that her hiding spot is close to the anwmone and maybe she feels they are intruding. My coral beauty started of about 9 months has never been a bully until now. There is no damage to anyone so I will just make sure to keep an eye on things!

Midas' are pretty cool aren't they? I had one for a long time and I used to love watching it wriggle it's way into the tighest spaces. Unfortunately I have far too agressive a tank nowto have such a peaceful fish.

Midas' are pretty cool aren't they? I had one for a long time and I used to love watching it wriggle it's way into the tighest spaces. Unfortunately I have far too agressive a tank nowto have such a peaceful fish.

Its amazing where she can wiggle her way into. She has this one spot that she loves just behind my torch coral and she actually backs her way into to cubby. Its so cool to watch! I just wonder why you never see them avaiable?

Blue Sierra carries them most of the time, but it's probably got to do more with the fact that they aren't a bright multicolored fish that is so popular a trend in marine aquaria.

Blue Sierra carries them most of the time, but it's probably got to do more with the fact that they aren't a bright multicolored fish that is so popular a trend in marine aquaria.

Good point the are not the brightest fish in the sea, or should I say tank but they sure are a treasure for anyone who has one!

Try rearranging the rock as much as you can so that homes can be changed. Fish tend to claim certain spots in a tank and moving things around will make everyone find a new home and may help the situation. best of luck :)

Back