why my anemones keep moving

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Usually anemones will move to a spot in the tank where they like it best in terms of lighting and flow. If you move them, they will just move back. :)

They're exactly right. Your anemone will move until it finds the right light, water flow, neighbors, level of activity, whatever. You can try to create some pockets of lower flow and with maybe a bit of shade to try to entice the nem to stay put but only it will know when it's found its happy place.

One thing to be very careful of during this time when your nem is still moving around is that your powerhead intakes stay covered so that it doesn't get sucked into one. Want to wipe your tank out? An anemone getting sucked into a powerhead can do it in a hurry.

Mike

The tank have been set up for 3 month, coralife MH 2 x 250w, and 2x tunze 6001 and controller.

You say "anemones." Do you have more than one?

3 months is a pretty "young" tank, for any anemone. A 3 month old tank may not even been completely cycled yet. Anemones prefer a established and mature tank. Most don't recommend any anemone in a tank less than 12 months old. That's 12 months AFTER the tank has completely cycled.

What type of anemones do you have?
This is important, in helping us diagnose your problem. Some species of anemone are naturally rock dwelling anemone, while other species are naturally sand dwelling anemone. Knowing the requirements of your species of anemone is very important in helping to make sure you're providing for it's needs.

How long have the anemones been in your tank?

What are your water parameters? These would be the most important, at this time.
Ammonia
Nitrates
pH
Salinity
Temperature

What other tank mates do you have?

In the future, any time you're having issues, and are requesting information, advice or help, it'd be very helpful for you to give us as much information as possible, about your tank. The more information we have, the better equipped we are, to help you.

I have only one in the tank and i don't know the name of it, verything is good but the water temperature about 82F.

So you saying 2month old tank is to young to put the coral in?

Took me almost 10 months to put in my first coral. Waited until my nitrates went totally to zero. I think it took like the last 4 months to get it down from just 5ppm :shock: On the anemone's, Sid is right, they do need established cycled aquariums to do well. :)

nems moving

i have had nems never move after putting them in the tank in a place I think they might like, but others move repeatedly. Always be aware they can get sucked into some power heads (water) while they are roaming around at night and get chewed up. Same thing if you have a skimmer in the tank. Make sure they cannot get sucked up. Good luck!

Back