Why the aggression

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almondsaz

I have a 125 gallon tank that is 6' long. I have a wrasse collection (leopard, potters, lubbocks, hawaiian flame) and I just got a blue sided. THe blue sided is beautiful...but he is in hiding most of the time. The Hawaiian seems to have decided that the tank is his entire territory.

WHat can I do? Will this stop over time? I bought an isolation net and set it up. None of the fish have gotten hurt, but the blue hasn't been out long enough to observe behavior. THe one or two times it's out the HFW chases him.

Appreciate the help.

Sometimes it can help to rearange the rockwork. alternatively you could put the HFW in a Quarantine tank for a few weeks so the blue sided can get established in the new tank and then try to reintroduce the HFW. Assuming you have a QT that is

If you do some searching and read abit you will find that it is NEVER a guarantee that even as little as 2 wrasses will get allong long term in a tank that size.

I know someone who had a 500 gallon tank and he did not even have as many wrasses as you have in your tank.

Tangs are the same problem.

This agresssion will very likely never end--The changing the rocks around idead MAY help
Also if you added MORE wrasses they MAY not fight as much.A deep sand bed for them to hide in should help SOME AMOUNT.

But that is not sompthing anyone could count on.

Fish stores have allot of wrasses in one tank and they get along for a while--.
But then again they often kill the weakest fish almolst on a whim.

I have 1 Male Melanarus and A smaller Red Coris Turning Juvenile now in the same 180 gallon 6 Foot tank with a deep sand bed to hide in. I considered myself taking a calculated rick with just these two.

I adore wrasses. If it were o.k. to have all wrasses in one tank I would do it in a heart beat.

I don't because I would be stressing them out all the time and eventually that stress will cause one or more of them to get sick and eventually be killed by the others.

That I don't want to happen

I don't wanna aggrivate you but I do want you to know how to properly take care of them.

I am not aggrivated in the least. I appreciate the input. I consider myself lucky to have the three in the same tank. Unfortunately the blue did not make it. When I upgraded my tank I added the Oolitic Sand to make it easier on the Leopards to bury themselves. Hindsight being a great tool - I would not purchase the Hawaiian Flame again. Might add a lot of color, but I am not pleased with the behavior.

Your Welcome

One last thing !

They are jumpers so beware and a canopy any plastic eggcrate covering opening will hopefully bounce them back in the tank !

I also some how thought you hade 2 or more potters and 2 or more lubbocks.

Good luck :)

Paul

Paul: I have 1 female Leopard, 1 female Potter's, 1 lubbocks, 1 hawaiian flasher and I think that's it. I have 1 blue atlantic tang...so I am not sure what I will add that is in keeping with what I have.

What do you have in your system?

Forgot to add that I do have my tank covered on both sides...I lost a solar through the eggcrate...so I still keep my eye on it.

David

Last edited:
I tang is ok 2 tangs may I say MAY get along as long as they look allot different and they have enoughp room to grow as they get about 12" Long !! Eventually !!

I have: 1 Red Corris juvenile
1 Male (halichoeres) melanurus
a Yellow headed sleeper goby
a fairly mean female maroon
an indigo dottyback
a female lyretail anthias
a yellow tang
a hawian damsel/anthias ? small
a green clown goby
a mean damsel dark blackich purple ---Have not tried to catch him enoughp yet !!
2 Starfish some snials and rocks and a few corals

:)

Paul

Back