Why use Starboard for Barebottoms?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i think people use it to avoid the high nitrates that deitrus on sand can cause...I also believe it is a personal preference...personally, I dont like a BB tank and like a DSB with jawfish or sand sifting gobies

Agreed personal preference... I like sand and the strive for completeness to the ecosystem and it allows the addition of additional animals that use it for their habitat. I am just not attracted to BB tanks but I understand how it facilitates easier maintenance.

cyber_ecco: starboard is completely flat, but if you are using with a glass tank there will be a gap underneath it IF you cut it so it sits on top of the silicone seal along the bottom of the tank. I didn't know this when I built my tank, so that's what I have now. I just read that in another thread, that you should get the starboard cut small enough that it doesn't sit on the silicone seals.

I think I used 1/4", but other thicknesses are available and I think it's more or less personal preference. Thicker is more expensive too.

Also keep in mind that if you have bracing on the top of your tank, you'll more than likely need to have the starboard cut into 2 or more pieces so you can get it into the tank. Tap plastics did a fantastic job of cutting to my specifications while I waited.

HTH,

Rob

Thanks Rob...thats exactly what I needed to know.

cyber_ecco: starboard is completely flat, but if you are using with a glass tank there will be a gap underneath it IF you cut it so it sits on top of the silicone seal along the bottom of the tank. I didn't know this when I built my tank, so that's what I have now. I just read that in another thread, that you should get the starboard cut small enough that it doesn't sit on the silicone seals.

I think I used 1/4", but other thicknesses are available and I think it's more or less personal preference. Thicker is more expensive too.

Also keep in mind that if you have bracing on the top of your tank, you'll more than likely need to have the starboard cut into 2 or more pieces so you can get it into the tank. Tap plastics did a fantastic job of cutting to my specifications while I waited.

HTH,

Rob

Back