Will a red brittle star catch and eat fish?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

Well it has been a while, been a very long summer. Glad to have a chance to come back here, just wish it wasn't for this reason.

I have two fish that are missing, both fire fish, 1 red and 1 purple. one day red was gone, next day purple was gone? But my mandirin and scotter (slow movers) are still around? not on the floor or any where else i could think to look.

I recently had two hairs die, one day apart, couple days before my fish dissapeared? i found them and dispossed of. weird one day apart? then the fish came up missing. puzzled?

I have never even heard of a red brittle star, but I know the green ones are fish eaters. Maybe it's a type of serpent star? I have a large purple one and a large black one that never bother anything unless it's already dead. They are great disposal units for your clean up crew! Got any pictures for a more positive ID?

Since you had several deaths/disappearances in a short time, I would guess that you have a different issue. What's your water perameters? Have you changed anything or added anything recently?

Sorry it took soo long to get back, holidays and everything.

I don't think it is the red star anymore. A couple nights ago I was spying after dark with the trusty red light. I almost had a heart attack! I saw a worm, about half inch thick! But I lost it before I could get my gloves and stuff, being it was on the rock on the bottom. So, I wait and watch looking for it again.

The day after I posted this thread my tang was found the next morning, on the bottom of the tank! :censored: I don't get it! All three fish were fast swimmers and gone, I have a mandirin goby and scooter blenny that are still swimming around (fat)!?

Water perameters are great. Everything is right on except Mag is alittle low and dkh could be alittle higher.

Remember that many "Fast Swimmers" are slow and low at night in their "Night Time" mode so they can become prey to many predators. Any chance you can find a picture of the worm in question?

Does it resemble this Eucinid worm

Giant%20Reef%20Bristle%20Worm%20Newquay.jpg

Remember that many "Fast Swimmers" are slow and low at night in their "Night Time" mode so they can become prey to many predators. Any chance you can find a picture of the worm in question?

I think that might be it. I have been watching the worm i first saw. Then i started to notice more, night by night. Then last night i found one that went from the back of my tank under a big rock and out the other side. This worm looked different than most fire worms in my tank. Most have a round head, with bristles all over (bristle worm duh, i like fire worm better, lol). This new one didn't, has like these legs, like a centipede. Like yellowish color, head kind of like a snake, not sure what the mouth looks like, might be sucker like, it doesn't look like other worms!-----OK, so i pinned my rocks together! it looks like it is under the rock not throught it. I put my gloves on and stood on a chair. With shaking hands and pounding chest, I reached in, grabed the rock moved it, and grabed he worm. Wow, never seem one like this. Working on pics, kind of want to keep it alive. I have it in a chinese food soup cup with 12hr water changes for now. Will get back ASAP. Thank you everyone, hope someone can ID this thing, got a cool vid on phone!

well it could still possibly be the brittle, or your worm...
have you made a trap to set up at night???
u can make one out of a baited small coke bottle

The only reason i thought it might be the red brittle, is it perches across rocks, like the green death. never seen it do anything.

img1043c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]if it works? here it is, not the best pick, it is scared right now. got it in the dark to get a better one.

Last edited:

This pic is on a beach, if it's real, can they come out of the water?

bobbit worm right? They can eat things if they get big enough like ur centipede creature?!?!

this thing is about as round as a pencil, and 12inches long when small. it stretches to about 2 feet. think it could take down 2 fire fish and a yellow tang (3in). The tang was found but not the firefish. They are MIA.

Also, when i caught it, it released a redish brown slimey looking stuff as it knotted itself. after it stoped i changed the water. This morning will changing the water i used my turkey baster to suck the red stuff out. but it wouldn't suck up and i wasn't touching it. there was a completly clear "ball" all the way around this red stuff and it wouldn't suck up, was also kind of attached to the worm. anyways i got that stuff out, it was like gelled water?????

ok, been trying to get a good pic of it's head and just can't. won't come out. but after watching it for a while, it's legs have like two little fingures. like each leg is actuallly 2, but connected at the top? if that makes sense.

Should i get into the invert section and try to get and ID? I kind of like it, might set up a tank for this guy. Not sure what else to do with it, don't want to kill it. It might sound strange, but I don't like to hurt any animals. They are only trying to live, nothing else. So who am i to judge this WORM? So maybe a species tank? But can this thing come out of the water????

Never got a good pic of head, just wouldn't cooperate.

But just say an em. crab chase something in the dark. he was moving fast with claws up. looked like he was after a meal? I know what they say about crabs and i beleive it, but didn't think em. crab would. they have cups on their claws not points, thought that was for algae? am i wrong?

NO thoughts on the em. crab?

Well, the RB star is making me wonder!? I was just looking around, watching the night creeper. I see the star "perched", with it's legs holding it suspended off the ground. She had a couple legs up on a rock and the others on the ground. Suspended and not moving, during the day she is neatly tucked in a hole, with leg tips out. At night I have noticed her "perched", and a couple times during the day I have seen her under a rock in a dark area, "perched". when I purched this star, it was in a large tank with many others, most were green death. Lots of them, maybe 30, is it possible my RB star "learnred" to perch and catch fish????? Is that a ridiculous thought??? I don't know? Luckily, my last two fish haven't perished or been made a meal!? I look every night, only bristle worms, one descent size. Only thing I can think of is the em. crab or RB star!??

Back