Will actinics make a difference

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

toddsreef

I have two unused 96 watt VHO acts on my 65 gallon. I only run the 14 k se hamiltons throughout the day and haven't used the vhos in a year. I was curious if the extra lights would cause anything in regard to coloration or growth change. The corals are growing well (some more than others) but an aquacultured colony is brown except for the tips (purplish-blue) and it was purchased mostly purple. Just curious if running the vho would help or just basically a waste of time. As far as asthetic quality, there is little change when the lights are on than off when you're looking at the tank do the fact the hamiltons are pretty whitish blue already but they have lost a little blue to them throughout the year...

BTW, the bulbs are already wired in the hood and the Icecap mounted only need to plug in...

Last edited:
Well since the par is so low on the 14k hamiltons, it may very well help out. I like they way the hamiltons look myself. Nothing against them, just wish they had more pop. I recently got these 14k bulbs from cool touch lighting. They seem to be brighter than the hamiltons I have, and the coloration seems to of improved as well. I had xm 10k but they were just to white for me.

Wright--what is the name and type of bulb you have (DE or SE). I'd like something with a little more pop...something to bring out a little more coloration...not that these are bad at coloration but I feel higherlight required corals (like cluster type: Gemmifera, Humilis, Ceralis) suffer due to the lower par

it is a single ended lamp callled the Aqua Cool Lamp. 14000k The number is 1-866-cooltch or www.cooltouchlighting.com If you call ask for Helena. She is real nice. They are really nice lamps if I rember right they only charge 45-50 each. There is a thread up that has updated photos of my tank if you wanna see what they look like. There is a coral off to the side of the picture of the bright green acro with the damsel, it was mostly dead and just brown when I got it. Now its incrusting over the dead parts, and is yellow, purple, and a wierd pinkish green. I am very impressed with these lights. I dont know what the par is though, just that my tank is doing better and growing faster than the hamiltons, almost as fast as it was with the xm 10k bubls but with alot more color. And they are less expensive to boot.

Hmmm...found them...you are the only one I have heard using them and I did a search on Google...wonder if there are any reviews on them anywhere? I will check your gallery or pic thread...

just go to the front page of rf, just reload the home page. It is like third or fourth in line, called updated pics of my tank.

Back