will buying a fan reduce temperature in fish tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

supamarine

is it like 100% gurantee buying fans on top of tank reduce the temperature???and if it does how much could do temperature drrop..thanx..... :)

Yes it is like 100% that it will help lower your tank temp. It causes excess evaporation cools your tank. It will make it harder to keep up with your evaporation tho. It will probably help with about 3 degrees or so, I am not sure.

I have only one on top directly blowing on my MH lamp, it will reduce the temp about 3 degrees. I also have one for the sump later whaen it warms up, cheap mans way of cooling things.

Fans work great, Cheap way, 3 speed adjustable on the same timer as your lights. One of the speeds will keep it from temp climbing all day. Or Icecap makes a temp dependent fan with varible speed related to temp of air on top of the tank. HTH STeve

like how do u place the fan like i think the submerged pumps causing heat..because i havent turned lights on..so do i place the fans facing the water?

Any air movement over the water surface will help evaporation, this will in turn help reduce heat. Submersable pumps do add heat, each one of mine adds about 1.5 degrees higher in my 100g tank, that is why I wan't all external one day.

Yes place the fans facing the water. Many folks use a clip on fan and attach it to their sump blowing directly into it. The idea is to increase evaporation by blowing the fan across display or sump water. You can also use fans to remove heat from a hood or canopy.
Scott

oh thanx ......is it alright if i open the glass lid and let wind get to it..like my hood will be closed but me top glass lid will be open is that alright? thanx

If simply buying a fan lowers the tank temp 3 degrees imagine how good it would work if you used it.....lol :lol: sorry...:D...I put a fan on in the summer and it works great...like BigT said though you gotta top off a lot more

Back