Will pep shrimp attack healthy corals?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ico2004

Recently i have noticed my peppermint shrimp picking at my zoas. I noticed this a few months ago when I had a frogspawn that wasn't doing well, but the zoas seem perfectly healthy.

yes they will and all shrimp should receive direct feedings while in our tanks. Direct meaning handed to them on a stick not just feeding the tank in general.
my .02

i have never noticed my shrimp actually eating my coral but have seen them steal food that my protopalythoa have captured even after they have closed up all the way. when i feed now i target the shrimp first so he's distracted and the corals have more time to get the food in their gut.

i agree with addocdreefer. I have seen my shrimp take food from my coral, so i have target fed the shrimp first to overcome this problem. again, have never seen the shrimp actually eat the coral... but the others above seem much more experienced.

Hello,
Although typically they will not, they certainly have the capability to do so (they eat Aiptasia anemones after all). If kept well fed they should be safe with corals. That being said it is always possible to get a rouge specimen that takes a liking to corals and will have to be removed.

HTH,
Kevin

I've never had any issues with the peppermints that I've kept, but I have heard of shrimp eating corals.

Like others have said and I feel the same, keep the little guys well feed and they shouldn't be a problem. I try to make sure my shrimp get something to eat every couple of days.

Back