Will these choices be compatible

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mikro

I was thinking of getting the Yellow Watchman Goby, and the Tiger Pistol Shrimp. Would this be a good combination in a 75 gal tank?
So far all is well in the tank.

This is what is in the tank now:

Three Blue Green Chromis
One Black Cap Basset
One Blue Eyed Anthias
One Fairy Painted Wrasse
One Cleaner Shrimp
One Peppermint Shrimp
One Lawn Mower Blenny
Two Emerald Crabs
15 Astraea Snails
15 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
60 lb. Live Rock

the only thing I can see as a problem would be the lawnmower blenny and I haven't heard they are. Remember they dont always pair up and sometimes they build there hole where you can't see it.

So far every tank I have put a yellow and tiger pistol in they have formed a pair, and Brads right, sometimes you cant see it, at first. LOL Then you can, it gets bigger and bigger, the burrow I mean. Usually though they seem to make it facing the front of the tank, I think because the watchman likes to watch whats going on and the people walking by give it something to do. Downsides I have found. The pistol is a frag stealer. They will gank all little pieces of coral that are not glued down. Get a little start of zoos from a friend, gone. Little piece of star poylops gone, couple of loose rics, gone. Make sure your live rock is stable and on the bottom of the tank. They will dig out under a piece and topple the whole structure. Beyond that. Extra cool. Here is a photo of one.

i just got a rainford goby but also like the watchman and pistol relationship... are goby's aggressive with their own species? if i were to get them my lfs has real small ones, both rainford and watchmans, not more then an inch long.

How big is the tank and how established is the rainsford. I have two rainsfords, a pinkspot watchman, and yellow watchman in a maintence account tank. Its a 150 so they dont even seem to notice each other unless one goes wandering. I would say (never for sure untill you do it) but a 75 should be big enough. The rainsford is a sand sifter so make sure you have a mature dsb or maybe think about taking it back. HTH Steve

umm its not mature and only has been setup for about 3 months. but ther rainford i got was in a bare bottom tank and i have been watching it and wanting it since 1-08-05 so is has been in there for a few months. but yea i have a 75g and will shortly have around 100# live rock but now only have about 45. but the rainford is very small still and the watchmans, which are in the tank next to the rainfords both bare bottom, are also very small... id say maybe an inch. but i really wanted to get a watchman to see that relationship but i decided on the rainford because their just so gosh darn cute.

Back