Will two clowns get along?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
So we just bought a little false Percula clown fish and we are thinking about picking up an older maroon clown. Not sure how big it is yet. Wouldnt be picking it up for a couple of days.

Now guy at the petstore said dont get two clowns because we dont know what sex they are and two males will fight. Will two females fight? Will they fight if they are both males even though they are differnt kinds of clowns?

Just wanted to make sure.

clowns

the largest clown will be female so go for it....... they change sex female always is the largest one I'm no expert but thats what i was told. I have three in my tank never had a problem with them

elmo 18 did a clownfish workshop you should do a search and read through. it is chock full of awesome info.

A guy at petco in lakewood.

Never trust what a LFS person says. Some are clueless, some are wanting a sell, some have a different or old opinion, some are just mistaken since it's such a complex hobby and some are great (and some don't fit in these categories...).

Go home, research it and then go back to buy if it's going to work. Even saving 50% on a purchase isn't worth destroying a tank or dealing with a disease.

i thought all clowns are male, untill they pair then the larger switchs to female..

Im not 100% sure but i dont think its a good idea...

2 diffrent clowns 2 diffrent size's sounds like one will be geting beat up..

Just my though,

I have a small true perc who is best friends with a small ocel. Not uncommon. Maroons can get a bit more aggressive. With clowns, it is often a trial and error as to what gets along with what due to many factors such as tank size, quantity rock, food, species, age, sex. Even with all that, much changes once they reach maturity.

Here is a link to the write-up Loohunter was suggesting, it is indeed monumental!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10937&highlight=clown+ilham

i thought all clowns are male, untill they pair then the larger switchs to female..

Im not 100% sure but i dont think its a good idea...

2 diffrent clowns 2 diffrent size's sounds like one will be geting beat up..

Just my though,

in a clownfish harem there is one female one male and the rest are sexless until either the female or the male are removed from the equation if the female is removed then the male becomes female and one of the other clowns become male if the male is removed then one of the others take its place. a false perc and a maroon can not become a pair because they are from two different species

2 Clowns of the same species will usually get along fine, especially if there's a distinct difference in size. However, a Maroon will most likely kill another species. Maroon's are even hard to pair up as the female can kill several males before finding one she accepts. Maroon's are quite aggressive, much more so than other Clowns.

Back