WOOD for stand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
Would it be ok to use PRESSURE TREATED 4x4's for the legs of my stand?
I wonder about the chemicals in the wood??

What size tank are you using them for? 4x4"s seems like extreme overkill unless you are doing a very large tank. I used 1/4's for my 90G. And I don't think there are any chemicals in pressure treated wood as of the last few years.

125 gallon 24"wide 60"long 20"deep
was gonna put 2x6 upright corners but 4x4's can easily be "notched" for the 2x6 top to rest on.

Pressure treated wood used to have chemicals and I would still think that they do. I just built a deck and the wood that I used didn't have a natural look to it in comparison to your normal everyday 2x4's. I wouldn't be to weary of building it with PT wood but I do personally feel that it isn't necessary. Just my .02.

I was thinking I could just use 2x6's for the legs and run 1x4s inside to screw the top to to make more sturdy!!

Does pressure treated wood increase strength? I was told (Lowes Employee) that it was to delay decay in the elements.

If it increases strength in the individual piece of wood then go for it. I am having a stand and canopy built by someone just for esthetic purposes. I have no skill in making something nice.

Actually here is a fact about me, I can not cut two pieces of would the same length. Lol...

I am also very involved in an automotive forum and a guy built a drive up car lift out of wood. It looked similar to the above stand but longer. It was built out of PT wood but was outside. That was a few years ago and he still uses it from what I hear.

If it is free then go for it! There is nothing better than free supplies.

hey i would use the 4x4 rather be overkill then not enough to hold the wait and all come crashing down that would suck. and do u still have that hole saw bit that u used to drill your tank for ur sump intake?

I would also go for the overkill. I am doing something similar for a 120 gal stand, except the structural elements will be held together by bolts.

It doesn't hurt to over-engineer, especially since we are in a seimiscally active region...

Overkill all the way, ill show some pictures of the stand i just finished up tonight actually for my 29.

I would bet it could hold 1000lbs

That also shows my lack of cabinet making skills as well, since i just framed it like a house and skinned over it... haha

somrry SLIMJIM I don't have the hole bit!
But I do Have hole bits for wood, those will work for your acrylic tank if thats what your drilling?

LOL at least your honest!
I was thinking of useing PT cause I can get the wood for FREE!

Free is a really good option to use as in that pic you posted!
Wood is no stronger being pt, just to prevent rot or for bugs eating on it.:exclaim:

I know PT is no stronger, I'm not trying to be a smart-a@%, I've been in and around construction all my life.
I was just worried about the ARSCNIC in the PT wood somehow seeping to the sump??
I dont know if this is a big "NO-NO"?
I was gonna coat the inside of the stand with something to protect the wood anyway!
Thanks for the input guys!
I am makeing the stand 6"wider than the tank so I have LOTS of room for my sump and supplies.
Scooty, Free is always good! LOL
And that pic is someone else's stand with standard 4x4's. Mine will be a little different on the bottom.

That was for Boosted LOL

Free is good, If you coat it or paint then that should be plenty good!

Back