WOOD for stand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That was for Boosted LOL

QUOTE]OH, LOL
I thought so!

What would be the best thing to coat the iinside f the stand with??
Cheeper is better but I dont want to "shortcut" this thing!?
I was also thinking of putting a little 2" lip on the outside of the bottom with caulking and treatmet to hold some water incase of leaks,?
Finn taught me this!

Last edited:
I used an epoxy paint on my stand but caulked it also first to make it water tight inside the stand. Also regretfully caulked the outside bottom of the stand to the wood floor, thinking this would prevent water from ever getting underneath which is a big problem. It was hard to remove the caulk when I sold the stand!

Pressure Treated Wood

As long as the pt wood is relatively new it will not contain arsenic or penatetrachloride. I can't remember the new chemical used but the government banned the use of arsenic several years ago due to it's leaching from the wood on structures such as kids playsets. You should have no issues with pt wood unless it was to be in contact with the water in some way. Free is almost always a good thing and I've never seen anything overbuilt!!!

yeah adam ill be drilling into my acrylic its for the bulkhead that will be going to my sump. its a 1.5 inch one and i only have a hole saw bit that goes up to 2 inch i need the 2 1/8 i believe. thanks :)

I think you can easily get away with 2x4's for the supports and 2x6's for the 60" long pieces. I would rather build a stand that is plenty strong and easy/light enough to move around when setting the tank up. I hate to refer you over to another board but this is an EXCELLENT thread for building a stand. It will answer all of your questions and more:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1169964

As for the finish, I used a white epoxy "appliance" spray paint from Lowes. It gave a real nice and hard finish that seals the wood quite well. It took a day to dry and had quite a strong smell so finishing it in a garage or outdoors would probably be best.

Thanks BLazer
I've got a custom stand that CANNOT be brought into the house once put together!
It will be to big!
It will house three tanks all in one stand!
I know the paint you speak of!
I'll use that!

Pressure treated wood has less strength than none. Two by fours and a good marine varnish. May 2x6 if you are concerned.

I'll add my 2 cents.
I would not use pressure treated wood for a aquarium stand or anywhere in my house at all.
Adam, you have kids don't you?

I'll add my 2 cents.
I would not use pressure treated wood for a aquarium stand or anywhere in my house at all.
Adam, you have kids don't you?
Yep I changed my mind on the 4x4's gonna use 2x6 with 2x4 or 1x4 inside for screwing it together

Back