WooHoo!! Finally got a DSLR!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I finally took the plunge and purchased a used Digital Rebel Xt (350D). It included the kit lens and a 1 Gb CF Card, as well as the other standard kit accessories, such as strap, charger and the misc. cords and such. I paid $500.00. I think this was a pretty fair price. I've also just found a lens on Craigslist for $50.00 that I'm considering. It's a Canon EOS EF 50MM 1.8, although I really have no idea what this means...lol. I've still got a lot of learning to do!! I'm really excited about this new aspect to our wonderful hobby of reef keeping...AND excited about the potential start to a new and just as expensive hobby...lol.

Any and all suggestions and advice from others is welcome. This is my first SLR camera and I'm clueless at this point!!

You're gonna love it. I have the 20D. A lot of people 'dump' their kit lens and purchase zooms, macros, etc since once you have these lenses you tend not to use the standard 50mm that comes with camera. It still has its uses though. I would be happy to help you with some of the getting used to it functions. I can say you are going to crave a macro lens in short order! :shock:

Dragoneggs, the kit lens is the 18-55, but I've heard it's not the best lens...lol. I'm thinking about picking up that lens I mentioned in my first post. I know I'm going to want a macro in a very short time, but my budget is somewhat limited right now. Especially after purchasing the camera...lol.

I've also recently found out that Huppins here in town rents lenses. I may rent a few to get a feel for different lenses before making any purchases.

I'd be very happy to take any advice or suggestions on getting used to the functions!!

Yeah, unfortunately, an expensive Macro is going to have to wait. Angie'd kill me if I explained to her that I needed to spend another $300.00 or more for a lens, after just spending $500.00 for the camera...lol.

I do think I'm going to check out Huppins and rent a Macro and a Telephoto to mess around with.

Congrats on getting into the DSLR world. You'll be wanting to drop a grand on a lens before you know it :D And I'm going to have to disagree with Charlie, don't discount third-party lenses when you are looking to upgrade from the kit lens. Sigma and Tamron make some excellent lenses which can easily hold their own against their Canon counterpart. Now start posting some pictures and we can all point you in the right direction.

Give me some ideas on starter settings for taking too tank pics!!! LOL

I've been shooting in P Mode and selecting my own focus point. I have no idea how to set any other settings yet...lol. Also, what software does everyone use for photo saving and editing. I'm not really thrilled with the Canon software yet. It came with Digital Photo Professional, for editing RAW format, Photo Stitch and ZoomBrowser EX. I've only used ZoomBrowser EX for a few minutes and haven't even looked at the other programs yet...lol. Oh and it also came with ArcSoft Photo Studio 5.5, which I haven't messed with either.

Well, here's a few pics. The first is one I just pointed and shot in auto mode, as I stopped in front of the tank. No editing at all

Good75shotwithCanon.jpg

Then here's a couple I edited a little and cropped using ZoomBrowser

PurpleM.jpg

MandarinwithCanon.jpg

Mike, I would set you camera to the TV mode. That sets the "Time Value" or how long the shutter is open and the camera does the rest. A "higher" TV value means a quicker shutter speed. The camera will blink the aperture value in the view finder if the shutter speed is to fast for the available light.
The AV mode sets the aperture and the camera does the rest. This setting basically controls how much of the image, foreground thru background, is in focus.

oh you'll will also want a tripod very soon! :D
I also have rented lenses from Huppins, its a great way to test drive a lens and see how it will work for you.
Tamron make great lenses for a more reasonable price, then someday you will want to look at canon "L" series.

Last edited:
LOL Already looked at L series....looked, saw the price...and that was that!! Yeah, I will be messing around with shutter speed soon too. I have a tri-pod that I haven't tried with this camera yet. It'll probably due for the time being, but a tri-pod, camera bag and camera cleaning kit are going to be among my first purchases.

You know..I was thinking...a good camera workshop would be great thing to do at the next spokane reef club meeting.....now if i could only make it to one...LOL :rolleyes:

Tripod is pretty much a must. You need to open up your depth of field to at least f8 (sweet spot) typically for sharpeness of a lens. This will give you more in focus range and overall sharpness. You aren't doing your lens justice yet.

Also make sure you are shooting at ISO 400 or below. This will likely mean the tripod as you will see your shutter speed needing to be pretty low. The coral shots can have a very low shutter speed. Turn off the pumps if you have to. With fish you will have to bump up your shutter speed to 'stop' action if that's what you want. You might also want to increase your ISO to 400 or 800. This will increas 'noise' (graininess) but as you probably figured out will allow you to half the speed when you double the ISO.

Congrats on getting into the DSLR world. You'll be wanting to drop a grand on a lens before you know it :D And I'm going to have to disagree with Charlie, don't discount third-party lenses when you are looking to upgrade from the kit lens. Sigma and Tamron make some excellent lenses which can easily hold their own against their Canon counterpart. Now start posting some pictures and we can all point you in the right direction.

I was just stating a personal preference Blazer, I know that those 2 companies make excellent lenses.:D:D:D

Charlie, I totally understand your point. From what I've been researching, I do see that in certain lens sizes, nothing beats Canon and that in other lens sizes, it's recommended you get anything BUT a Canon...lol. From what I understand, the kit lens that is provided with Canon isn't near the kit lens provided with the Nikon or Sony kits. That was one point I did a lot of research into before purchasing. That was when I was going to buy new and not used...lol. I just couldn't pass this deal up.

Back