worm id help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The way it works is that one generation produces clones which are either male or female. The male & females clones produce eggs & sperm; the juveniles that result from the fusion of the eggs & sperm grow up to be the asexual generation which produces clones. Nifty, huh! I vaguely remember that some other organisms do this as well but since they're not polychaetes I don't pay much attention to them. (no surprise there :D )

There's a very nice website which explains epitokous reproduction in polychaetes (epitokes are those fast moving swarmers people see after dark in their tanks)
http://www.zoo.utoronto.ca/zoo344s/2002Group9/Zoo344WP.htm

Hi Leslie,

Thanks so much for chiming in! I think I spotted a 2nd worm tonight, which can only mean we have a whole lot more than I originally thought. Much smaller though. If and when I catch 'em I'll be sure to PM you if you want me to mail it to you. I also spotted the rogue crab again so I wouldn't be surprised if the all damage was caused in by these unwanted creepy crawlies working in tandem. :p Thanks again for the id!

Back