Worm ID, maybe bobbit type?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

Ok, caught this worm. I don't think it is a bristle worm, being it has no bristles. It has these legs, each is like 2 but connected at the top (the legs). Kind of looks like a centipede, looks and color (yellowish). It's head seems to be smaller than the rest, almost snake like in shape. Can't tell about the mouth, if it is a sucker or hinged? Not sure? I see (i think) small black eyes, very small, almost can't see them. At it's smallest that I've seen, it is 12in and stretches to about 2 feet. DOES NOT LOOK LIKE ANY OTHER BRISTLE WORM I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ANY TANK (not that that means anything).

After i caght it, it knotted it self up and excreated a redish brown "slime". The next morning while changing the water, i tried to suck out the rest of the red slime and it wouldn't suck up. It was a solidified ball of completly clear something!?

WOW, this thing is cool
img1043jl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img1044eg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This one is with a light under it to show legs.

Looks to me like a bristle worm. 99% of them are excellent decomposers and VERY beneficial to a reef tank!! The only BAD bristle worm is the fire bristle worm which very bright red.Mature tanks grow all konds of worms, peanut, Terrabellids or spaghetti worms. Watch to make sure you don't have too much nutients stored, that is feeding a population explosion.

The purpose of catching this guy, 2 fish MIA and 1 found dead all within 4 days! This worm has NO bristles, they are leg like and are used while moving. I have a vid on my phone that you can see it's legs wiggling around as it moves about. as if it uses them to swim and walk!? I have many bristle worms in my system, most are small, a few bigger ones. This guy is UNlike any others. Head and mouth are very different. Head looks like it is used for bitting or boring, the bristle worms i've seen have a rounded head that resembles their body, thig guy's head is defined and it has NO bristles on it's body. Head is smaller than rest of body. Also this thing releases a clear, more like invisable slime! The water is solidified!

I will try my best to get a good pic, i have a few ideas.

Also, when he was found, it was completly out of the rocks. All of the other worms seem to stay in the rock work some. Never exposing their whole body. This guy looked like he was hunting! Learching around, i noticed him at first because he was going up the front glass some. The other worms stay in, on and around the rocks, not out and about the tank. But what do I know? Hopefully someone will have an answer.

For now I am keeping him alive, just can't kill it. Seriously thinking of setting up a species tank for him, maybe with red lighting? What do you think? He is cool!

found a pic that looks identical to my worm, can't find a name. i guess it is a polycheat worm (?sp?) like bristle worms, but this guy has podia legs or something like that. said they are sharp and not to handle bare handed. not a hobbit, good.

Back