Worms in tank...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaysauce

I attached the picture of some worms coming out of my sand. Can anyone ID them? What can I do to get rid of them if they are bad?

Thanks!

I have some of the same ones and looked them up once, they are Timarete sp. and are usually known as cirratulid worms as they are in the family Cirratulidae. They reproduce readily and are good at keeping sand stirred up and clean, and every now and then one seems to make itself neutrally buoyant and float around a while, presumably looking for a better spot but usually finding an lps or paly tentacle...

They are in the same order as the two-feeler spaghetti worms that make the sand tubes but are in a different family.

I have some of the same ones and looked them up once, they are Timarete sp. and are usually known as cirratulid worms as they are in the family Cirratulidae. They reproduce readily and are good at keeping sand stirred up and clean, and every now and then one seems to make itself neutrally buoyant and float around a while, presumably looking for a better spot but usually finding an lps or paly tentacle...

They are in the same order as the two-feeler spaghetti worms that make the sand tubes but are in a different family.

These are the worms. The pictures online look exactly like the ones in my sand. Thanks for the help!

I keep getting notifications for this thread but it appears that threads from the invertebrates subforum aren't showing up in the recent threads on the home page. Is this supposed to be the case?

I keep getting notifications for this thread but it appears that threads from the invertebrates subforum aren't showing up in the recent threads on the home page. Is this supposed to be the case?

I think Scooty and Mojo are still trying to sort that out so that the invert forum will infact show up on the front page. Till then, you will either have to go directly to the invert forum or use the "New Post" tab if the thread had been previously bumped. :)

Yea we are trying to figure out why also. I checked everthing and it seems to be ok, but it still wont come up. Scooty will take a peek when he comes back tonite or tommorrow

MIke

Here is a pick of that spaggetti worm when its not buried in the sand

20011009-worm02-m.jpg

Man I guess I should check the picture and not the title when I go through my pic library???

Back