would like help to ID fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jsvera

LFS got a shipment today. There was a fish I really wanted but couldn't buy without knowing what I was getting and how to care for it....or if it would be too aggressive for my tank. I first thought it was a goby. Long, slender, eel like appearance. It was black with two bright neon blue stripes from head to tail. Very active and not trying to hide under rocks. He didn't know for sure what it was but was reasonably certain it was a type of pseudochromis. I googled images for pseudochromis and didn't find anything like it. It anyone knows what it might be I would appreciate help with ID Thanks

sankeyi dottyback looks just like it in some pics but the description says the stripes are white. If the stripes were neon blue that would be it. Shape of the mouth makes me think likely it is some variety of dottyback and I will pass to keep peace in my tank.

oh, no, what have I done? Went back to the lfs today and gave in to the temptation to buy a fish I couldn't id. After much searching on line I am afraid it might be a sabertooth blenny. I watched him in the tank at the lfs. He was very active, not bothering other fish and not hiding. First thing he did in my tank was dive in a hole. If he is a sabertooth I'm afraid I will have to dismantle my tank to catch him. I know the best advice is not to buy anything you can't id

So, I think I have a positive id. I am reasonably sure it is a sabertooth blenny. Doubt that I could catch him in my reef. My blue tang seems to be on a mission to kill him. Maybe that will solve the problem. Another expensive lesson. Ouch

Last edited:
Another expensive lesson. Ouch

We've all been there and unfortunately part of the learning process of this hobby.

However, Just as a suggestion, you might want to invest in several books that can help you ID fish..I have the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner and Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential fishes to know by Scott Michael. These helped me get to know what fishes to buy as well as ones to avoid. I like the book by Scott Michael as it is small that one can carry it easily.

Heck I would go into LFS with my book by Scott Michael and if I saw a fish I like I would look it up and read up on it, then ask the sales clerk additional information like fish compatibility, etc..

HTH
Kirk

I have the one by Michael. The fish is in the book but what I didn't realize is that the juvenile is black (what I have) and the turn orange as adults. It seems odd to me that the lfs would sell such a fish

What would concern me more is that the clerk in the store had no idea what they were selling you.

Haven't seen the fish since the blue tang chased him around the tank. Either he found a good hiding place or the tang did him in. I don't know what to think about him not knowing what it was. He seems to have an incredible knowledge bank on all things saltwater. Maybe he has never seen this fish as a juvenile eihter. What I found on line says they are fairly rare.

Back