Would this be enough light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blooper74

I just want to ask if dual 175 watt MH would be enough light over a 90 gal. I want to be able to keep just about anything, mostly I want to be able keep clams. I think the tank is 24" deep, I believe it is a standard 90. I don't have the tank yet so I am looking for the light info.
Thanks.

Pat,

the 175s should work but i will agree that with 250s you will have no problem growing thins from the top of the tank to the 90.

Also my tank is a standard 90.

Yes, the 250 watt halides would be a better choice. The bulb/ballast choice can make a huge difference.

You can do some bulb/ballast comparison here:
http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/select2lamp.php

Compare the output of the 175watt combos to the 250watt combos and you will see why everybody is saying to go 250watt. The 175watts would probably work, but the 250watts would be better.

To be honest setups like that may look like your saving a lot of money but by the time you buy a reflector, mounting hardware, bulbs, actinic setup, etc its almost cheaper to just buy a already built fixture. Thats how i started and by the time i finished it i was at around $560 when i could have bought the same thins all encased and proffesional looking for $480. Thats my recomendation.

The reflector is no problem. I have a brother that is a machinist and can make me a polished aluminum set of reflectors for free. I was just asking though because I saw it and wanted to ask :) I know on here is a good place to get the help a person needs.

I am looking at this setup http://cgi.ebay.com/250-W-DUAL-META...hZ018QQcategoryZ46314QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Do you think it would be worth getting?

That is an excellent ballast at a good price. It does not come with reflectors or bulbs. A good reflector is extremely important. Reflectors run from $30-$130 each and bulbs run from $50-$100 each. Keep that in mind when pricing items out. Also you might want to look at electric ballasts.

Try these sites:
www.hellolights.com (hello lights has some cheap halide retros)
www.marinedepot.com (marine depot has everything and descent prices)
www.reefexotics.com

After scratching my head for 6 months - I went with a package deal from reefexotics. Reefexotics sells lumenarc reflectors. They are the best reflectors, if you have the room to install. They have the large 19" and the mini 14". Reefexotics also carries coralvue eclectic ballasts and reeflux bulbs. I bought one of their package deals (coralvue ballast, reeflux 12k, coralvue reflector. I wish I would have bought the lumenarc reflector. At the time I did not have the room. The packages run from $200-$260each, not too bad. If you run supplements (actinic), I would get the 10k reeflux. If you want to do no actinic, I would get the 12k reeflux. Reeflux has mixed reviews, IMO they are great! I run the 12k reeflux with no supplements. It gives a nice crisp blue/white look. I am very happy with it.

Back