would you agree that my clownfish is smart?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

armagedon48

i was thinking about how octopus can open a jar to get to the food inside. well, i know fish cant undo a jar lid, but they can push against or tear apart something blocking the opening.

well, i took a small jar and filled it with their favorite food. i took a sheet of nori and covered the opening and used a rubberband to hold it in place. i placed it into the aquarium and all the fish tried to get at the food inside the jar. well after a few trys, the clownfish started to figure it out but my wrasses never seemed to understand the food was in a JAR! the sheet of nori seemed to be strong enough to keep my clownfish out for almost an hour.... and i videoed them the whole time in 5 minute segments..

after an hour the clownfish had their fill, so i just opened up the jar all the way and let the poor wrasses dig in.

i dont know how to post the actual video here, so i will just post a link. please rate my video 5 stars if you like it, or dont rate it at all if you dont like it :)

clownfish solving puzzle

Last edited:
What a great way to entertain your fish, and break up their daily routines. My clown just nipps at me whenever I enter his territory... lol.

Nifty. I don't the fish would go down into the jar to get the food if they were able to eat their way through the Nori because of the confined opening. Hey! That could be your next experiment. Which fish is the most brave???

I'm not sure if they were trying to get the food inside the jar, or if they were just eating the Nori. Mine will nip at Nori on the clip. The Nori may have been "flavored" with the food inside the jar which made them want to eat it more. I enjoyed the blenny, too!

in person it was very clear that the clowns were pushing on the nori trying to make their hole bigger to get food out. you can see it in the video too.

my clowns dont touch nori unless their starving. its the wrasses that love it so much, but in the video, you can see they are far more interested by the blood worms and cyclopeeze inside the jar.

reefcentral... haha yea. i just copied and pasted this thread and put it on a few forums. unfortunately i missed that part a few times.. lol busted!

Back