WoW I love this reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mjslaugh

So today i noticed something peculuar My rose bubble anemone had a clear body in the middle of it, it took me a little while to figure out what it was, but I finally got a good look at it. It was one of my peppermint shrimp, I was a little bummed about loosing the shrimp, but I am very happy that my RBTA is so happy. Then it got better, I have one maroon clown that is hosting the anemone and now that there is nothing left of the shrimp but the shell/skin(whatever you call it) he picked up half of it and swam out of the anemone with it and dropped it on the other side of the tank. It was so neat to watch, I wish I could have caught it on my camera, but anyways this tank never ceases to amaze me, this hobby is so much fun. Here are a few pics of my tank so far.

100_0342.jpg

If you look closely on the back wall you can see the hairy mushrooms growing up the wall
100_0339.jpg

Pom Pom Xenia
100_0343.jpg

You may not have lost your shrimp, it may have just molted. Occurs quite regularly and looks just like the shrimp, but close examination will show you it is just the outer shell. The shrimp will usually hide for a few days afterward while the new shell hardens (but then again peppermint shrimp usually always hide during the day).

You may not have lost your shrimp, it may have just molted. Occurs quite regularly and looks just like the shrimp, but close examination will show you it is just the outer shell. The shrimp will usually hide for a few days afterward while the new shell hardens (but then again peppermint shrimp usually always hide during the day).

Would the RBTA be trying to feed on the shed carcus?? Also, I do see where one of the shrimp has molted and it looks like much less than what was in the anemone.

It could have just been the skeleton of the shrimp from a molt? So you may still have the shrimp somewhere in your tank. The skeleton does look seethrough when they molt it off.

oops, Kris beat me to it.

Pics look great!! Glad your tank is doing well. Hope your shrimp shows up too!! Watch for it at night. It's quite unusual that an anemone would have ate it...but anything's possible. I've had several species of shrimp regularly walk across my anemone and steal food from it when it's fed.

Tank looks good, I did notice in the pic of the xenia that it looks like there is red slime on the rock. If that is so you will want to get rid of it quick so it dosen't spread and kill your stuff.

I had a really bad problem with it and used blue life red slime control to get rid of it, worked well and had no other side affect. Just had to do a few water changes after it was done.

Back