wrasse ID please?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I made out like a bandit at the LFS today.
Anyone seen one of these before?
He looks like a Hawaiian cleaner wrasse except he's got red on his back and stomach as well as around as his mouth.

I paid $25 for him. Did I get a deal or did I get stung? I haven't been able to find any info about him. He's colorful tho!
Wrasse.JPG

I also finally picked up this bad boy! Not bad for $30 I think. :)
Clowntang.JPG

Black spot (or Golden) cleaner wrasse... Labroides pectoralis

You didn't get burned but the wrasse did. Please, please research before you buy. This wrasse has a dismal success rate in captivity.:(

Cheers
Steve

I am and was aware that the common cleaner wrasse can be quite difficult but can also begin to feed on mysis and brine. From what I am reading now, the blackspot wrasse is uncommon but no more, no less hearty than the common cleaner wrasse. Right? :confused:

I. C. Wetwebmedia says no cleaner wrasse should be collected for aquarium living.

BCT182 said:
I. C. Wetwebmedia says no cleaner wrasse should be collected for aquarium living.
Pretty much. Not sure where you read the information in your previous post but it's not true. The Blue streak cleaner (Labroides dimidiatus) will live a little longer than the one you have now but in all honesty there is no cleaner species in the Labroides sp genus I would recommend. Once in a month of Sundays someone might get lucky and keep one for a few months or even a year. This is by far not a successful fish type to keep.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry, I don't get that :confused:

How would ground beef trim/fat help a wrasse (nutritionally) that feeds on isopods, scales and fish coat slime for the most part?

Cheers
Steve

No idea, but I read that a reefer got his cleaner wrasse to eat by puting in finely chopped beef/hamburger. Maybe the smell or something. I never tried it, I don't think having one is a good idea either. But since he has one, maybe it would work, maybe not. Just passing on info. (Wish I could remember where I read it :( )

Wouldn't recommend it. Getting these wrasses to eat is not really the issue, providing for them nutritionally is. Beef meat is not going to make up for what is missing in their natural diets. To date, there is no substitute offered in a conventional manner to the hobby at large.

Cheers
Steve

Back