Wrasse Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I wanted to get as many opinions here as possible so that's why I'm posting this in the General Forum. Anyways my LFS has a Mystery Wrasse... aka five bar wrasse...(Pseudocheilinus ocellatus) and it's GORGEOUS!!! It's an expensive fish though and I was wondering if anyone had opinions on this guy. This would be my centerpiece fish. Is it agressive?? what does it eat?? etc etc. A fact sheet on the internet doesn't really give me the same type of info that other experienced reefers could. I'd apprediate ANY opinions or help. Thanks in advance!!

I attached a pic of what it looks like. The pic doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
I have the book Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael and it doesn't list that particular specimen. Sorry, however the most common theme I see among wrasses is that they may eat ornamental shrimp. Will eat flat worms and pyramidellid snails. Feed at least twice a day unless you have productive live rock. On the behavior I can't say much because again it's not in my book. Hope that helps some?

I've found a litte bit of info on them... Not as much as I'd like, but some... There is an article on them in Advanced Aquarist. They're really rare in the aquarium trade from what I've heard and read. They live 65ft or deeper in the ocean so it makes collecting them more difficult. I was just hoping someone here would have first hand experience they could share. I am more interested in their actions and behavior.

Im not help, but thats an awesome fish! Would I be rude if I asked how much the LFS is asking??

Not rude at all. :) My lfs is asking 199. That seems to be the wrasse's going price online too. My husband just bought a new car when it was my turn, so he owes me big time :lol: He also slipped a motorcycle in there somewhere too so I'm totally covered here. :D I'm hoping I can talk the lfs down a little bit. They have 2 at my lfs and the one is a really awesome hot pink color. Their eyes are so cool. You'd have to see them in person to appreciate how gorgeous they are. It was love at first sight for this fish :)

Mystery wrasse is one of my favorite fish Becky. I bought mine from Marine Center about 3 years ago, and I paid over $200. Very hardy and eats everything from flake, pellets, and frozen. If you're talking about the 2 they have at VTF, then I would suggest you hurry b/c a lot of people are interested in both of them.
I've heard that they can be aggressive since their in the same family as the sixline wrasse, but mine never shown any type of aggression. I got multiple fairy wrasses, shrimps, all kinds of acro crabs, and small gobies. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

James

My husband said the wrasse was absolutely out of the question. I need to get my tank finished before I start buying livestock for it :) Anyways it is still one of the coolest fish I've ever seen and maybe I can talk him into it for some holiday or birthday. :lol:

I guess he's right, better getting everything set-up and running, cycled etc make him a good home first.

ya you gotta make sure everything is set up right and running otherwise you would have a not really happy fish and you know its always important they are happy :p .
That's the only thing sometimes i don't like about this hobby, the whole waiting situation i wish i could just buy the corals and fishes and have them in my tank :p

Last edited:
naka - welcome to Reef Frontiers!

I saw one for sale recently that I really wanted for a flash of a second, but thought the tune of $225 was a little steep....especially when I think about the nice Calcium Reactor I want :) . A great looking fish, that will be on a future "want" list for sure. Becky - to me, it sounds like a great birthday present! :D

Here is an article not necessarily about the Mystery Wrasse, but it does make brief mention. Thought it would be a nice supplement to what you have already read. ...Four, Six, Eight, Who Do We Appreciate? Wrasses! Wrasses! The Genus Pseudocheilinus

Back