X-10 Control Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hooked82

I'm working on setting up my Octopus 3000 controller and would like to get the X-10 working for my timers etc. I'm new to it and trying to find a good explaining site for the modules/controllers. The problem that I think I am having is the RJ-11 cord was cut by the previous owner. I tried resplicing but it looked to me that it was a special cord. Any thought on that one? Any help or sites with info would be great, thanks.

Hi David & good Morning. I don't Have any x-10 experience however a member here called Rico has allot of X-10 and is the Midcolumbia saltwater expert. Send a pm to him and I am sure he has seen it done or can help in what you are trying to do. Best of Luck...Jeff

I'm working on setting up my Octopus 3000 controller and would like to get the X-10 working for my timers etc. I'm new to it and trying to find a good explaining site for the modules/controllers. The problem that I think I am having is the RJ-11 cord was cut by the previous owner. I tried resplicing but it looked to me that it was a special cord. Any thought on that one? Any help or sites with info would be great, thanks.

What is it you want to know about x10? The rj11 cord like a phone cord but one end is wire opposite.

Don

I guess that my problem is that I need that RJ11 cord to see if it even works. I respliced the original cord that was cut but it didnt work. So you're saying that one of the wires within the cable is switched? Kind of like a crossover cable or something? If thats the case would you know which one is. That way I can just make one up.

I guess that my problem is that I need that RJ11 cord to see if it even works. I respliced the original cord that was cut but it didnt work. So you're saying that one of the wires within the cable is switched? Kind of like a crossover cable or something? If thats the case would you know which one is. That way I can just make one up.

I guess you would call it a cross over cable, not sure what the proper terminoligy is.
What does your cable look like? Serial on one end and rj11 on the other or rj11 on both ends?

Don

rj11 on both ends. When I bought my setup, the guy had cut the cable. There was only 2 wires in the cable which I thought was weird cause it has rj11 ends. Maybe its not the right cable to begin with?

rj11 on both ends. When I bought my setup, the guy had cut the cable. There was only 2 wires in the cable which I thought was weird cause it has rj11 ends. Maybe its not the right cable to begin with?

Cm11a cables have 4 wires. So if it runs like all other serial x10 then you need a typical phone cord with one end flipped over.

Don

Yep I agree with Don, to communicate you swap the wires, Rx & Tx on one end & it should work!

Sorry to bring this post back up, but I think my X-10 Powerline Interface box is bad. Don, or anybody, know where I can pick one of these up at locally? Radio Shack doesnt carry them anymore as they have discontinued them. Any help would be great.

fix your phone line first,Radar electric in Bothel or Graybar or Grainger in seattle,,looking for 4 wire crossconnection phone line 1-3 and 2-4 ,, i used octopus 3000 also,a few sequence to watch the x10 interface work or not,,go to test menu then try it out see the light is brinking when you in test menu turn it on or off,,need more help send me pm
note;do not used any power strip that had the filter,,x 10 will not work.

Last edited:
Back