xenia is gone...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very interesting article and something to consider. What i am learning is that no 2 tanks are the same. The chemistry is impacted on the inhabitants, husbandry, filter medium, type of water etc.

I can have two types of mushrooms next to each other and one thrives and one melts.

I think it is all about experimenting and getting the proper balance for your specific situation (which also changes as the fish grow and coral propogate).

What makes this hobby addictive is that it is almost never final !!!

So what have you guys heard about xenia being a Nitrate consumer? I've heard of people converting their whole refugium/sump into a xenia area for the pure purpose of nitrate consumption.

Also, I have three types of xenia in my tank (Silver Branching, Pom Pom, and another unidentified type) and I've only had problems with the unidentified type melting away. I had my one store bought frag grow into three different sprigs two different times and each time two of the three melt away with in a matter of two days. I believe that it was a bacterial infection or perhaps chemical warfare but I can't explain why one sprig always survives ?!?!

Brian.

Morgan - I believe most studies show that the results are inconclusive. Perhaps not iodine specific but the interaction with the overall tank chemistry. In my case after not being able to stop it from melting many times over a few months, I believe it is not coincidence that as soon as I started dosing iodine my xenia started thriving.

BTW - did you know that scientists and gov't agencies told Dr. Atkins his diet was not effective for almost 15yrs and then endorsed it as one of the most effective ways to lose weight. Don"t always believe what you read.

ahah sc1 thanks for that nice little bit of info about dr. atkins but yeah im goign to try xenia again and i hope if will stay put this time and not vanish on me lol, thanks for everyones input

Back