xenia shrinking

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brucereef

My tank looks great however my xenia has been getting smaller as well as the pulsing has almost stopped. everything else sems to be in great shape.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you for any responce.
Bruce

definately check your iodine levels and report back - sounds like you may be low. xenia need adequate iodine levels or they will stop pulsing and start to receed as you've described.

my guess is that your water is low in nutrents. xenia like less then clean water. i had a large amount of xenia, and i used to supply 2 LFS's with it every week for 2 years, i never added iodine and it grew like crazy untill i upgraded my skimmer.

I agree check your idodine, if its low, turn off all powerheads/pumps and get a turkey baster and when u dose the iodine slowly squirt it directly at the xenia (lugols iodine works great) if you have a small tank mix your dose with some tank water before squirting it at the xenia. And call me in the morning.

my guess is that your water is low in nutrents. xenia like less then clean water. i had a large amount of xenia, and i used to supply 2 LFS's with it every week for 2 years, i never added iodine and it grew like crazy untill i upgraded my skimmer.

Maybe that's my problem... too clean.. I can grow everything else (any type of SPS) w/ no problem, but i've always had difficulty w/ xenia.

from what i've have read that is xenias sometimes don't do good with sps tanks ... but i think he should tell us about his ph as well to see where it stands.

I agree I have an sps dominant tank and my xenia doesn't grow at all it still pulses though! however my buddys tank is a 30 gallon softie and he can't get the stuff fragged fast enough, he does dose a lot of lugols but other than that the only difference his he has a very high bioload and really crappy skimmer and he doesn't run a phosphate reactor just does water changes therefor his water its always full of nutrients...

My xenia is thriving in my sps tank with low nutrients. I do feed a lot of nori though. Real hard to stuff it in those little pulsing mouths...
No it gets fed to the tangs. Maybe there is something about that iodine, nori is very high in it...

Back