Xenia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How long has it been like this.. Mine will deflate once in a while.... Not all of them at once ... but randomly... They come right back out though...

mmkeeper said:
What would cause a Xenia to look completely wilted? Like a plant that hasn't had enough water.

Any number of things could cause that to happen... most likely, something disturbed it in a major way and it is reacitng to being bothered. That happens to mine anytime I bump into it when moving things around or cleaning. Additionally, if there was a major quick change in the tank (e.g. temp, salinity, pH, etc.) that could freak it out. Most likely, it will be fine within a few hours to a day.

As a safeguard, it is always a good idea to measure all of the common items when something like this happens just to make sure nothing got out of whack without your knowledge.

-Jimbob

wilted or bunched up in a ball?
These are the two signs of my zenia, one is good, one is not so good.

If it was bothered it will look all bunched up. If it is drooped over I would look into your water #'s or change in something major.

Just my .02

mmkeeper said:
Water parameters are consistant. Temp 78.5 ph 8.2, ca 430, alk 3.45, no3 <10

Might not be a bad idea to test for copper as well just in case you have a powerhead or something startin to go on the blink. Xenia is one of the first things to head south with trace amounts of copper present.

I think it is this one: Common Pulsing Brown Xenia
Xenia elongata I don't have a copper test kit. AS to how long it has been like this, I noticed it this morning.

Was this xenia a new adition to your tank?
They will wilt over if they are not getting enough light. Like being in a shaded area.

He is right up top and his been in the tank for several months. Has seem very health, then this this morning.

It is 24 hrs since I noticed the Xenia all wilted, no change. How do I know if I have lost it? Should I remove it? When? If I leave alone a few more days hoping for a recovery, will it cause any harm as it dies?

Another day and no improvement. I don't see any signs of decomp. Is it time to remove the Xenia or give it a few more days to respond?

Unless this tank is really small, no need to remove the Xenia. Give it all the time you can. Even the smallest stump on a rocks surface will regrow.

As well as what may have caused it, you need to focus also on what may improve it's chances. I would start off with a series of good sized water changes (20-25%) to help reduce those nitrates some. Xenia are pretty finiky when it comes to water quality/chemistry. I've seen them do well in various set ups and various "husbandry" levels. Run some carbon if you aren't already and be sure it's getting moderate (not too brisk) flow top keep any infections at bay.

What kind of lighting do you have and have you noticed any irregular lines/marks on the Xenia? What fish do you have?

Cheers
Steve

96 watt acinic compact flour. 175 w metal hilide 10000k. OC clown, 2 pink skunk clowns,orange spot goby, mandrine dragonette, Kole tang. It is in a moderate flow area, it was moving really well for months, then over night it was limp. My tank has held steady at 10 for nitrates the hole time I have had the Xenia.

might be iodine, when i used carbon on my tank it wilted all my xenia, someone later told me carbon can pull alot of iodine out of the water, so either water changes or iodine supplements (which can easily be overdone) if that is the case, however it might not be, water changes can't hurt much though, and xenia like a little nitrate i believe

Back