YamahaF934's 140g upgrade/build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

I started in the hobby about three years ago. I broke down my tank to move and be a guide in Alaska. It was a 72 gallon with all hang on the back equipment. Most of my equipment and knowledge is from you guys so I want to way thank you.

I am now slowly getting back into it with a larger tank with sump. Trying to learn from my mistakes the first go around and want the knowledge from you guys to eliminate other mistakes as I build up this tank.

Tank:
140 gallon (48" wide) dual overflow setup with herbie overflow
40g breeder sump
Bubble Master 250
Mag 18 return (will change to Ehiem eventually)

I started planning the sump and came up with this final design.

Sump2_zps61ddca4f.png

I have the 40 breeder and am going to pick up the glass dividers tomorrow.

I started prepping and painting the back of the tank black. Just used plastic spray paint.

1_zps6aeb274f.jpg

2_zps3d672625.jpg

I started playing around with the plumbing. These pieces will be painted black to blend in.

3_zps6c26b691.jpg

4_zps555fab92.jpg

Right now the plumbing is as follows:

Dual Herbie Style
- 1.25" siphon drains with gate valve
- 1" emergency drains
- 1.25" return

Please feel free to comment with advice. I will be posting a lot of questions.

Great start 934,
So far all looks good.
Are you going to drill your sump for the return line and run the mag 18 as an external pump?
I have the same pump planned for my build, and also want to upgrade in the future to an external pump.
It looks like you will be getting about 1100 gph of return to run thru your DT.
What other flow do you have in mind?

What type of lighting?
Reactors?
Dosing?

As of right now I plan to use the metal halide fixture I got with the tank until I get taxes to build a LED system. For right now it will be a fish only tank with maybe a few softies. Something easy to take care of. I am not sure about reactors yet.

I was talking to someone and they recommended using just reactors in place of the refugium. The size of my refugium will most likely not be very beneficial to this tank. Any suggestions?

Working on this tank takes a lot of time.

I have a few concerns with the plumbing. Its hard to fit the 1 1/4inch pipe under this stand with a 40 breeder for a sump. Any ideas how to make the below tank plumbing better. Thanks.

The sump is set up for both returns to run into the skimmer chamber.

photo1-1_zps134d8b62.jpg

photo2-1_zps1772fbf9.jpg

photo3-1_zpsc754c23b.jpg

and started to play with aquascape.

photo-1_zpsa06db004.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Great start, and yea dual 'Herbies' present a few issues in having to use large bulky Gate Valves. I was originally going to have a Closed-Loop system instead of any Powerheads but left little room and wanted to keep my large sump/refugium intact. I ended up using a fair amount of Spa-Flex in my plumbing to help give a little wiggle room and reduce hard-lined plumbing noise, you can check out my plumbing in 'Signature' link below.

Cheers, Todd

It looks like you drain pipes in the over flows are just straight up pipe? If so they will be very load and make a sucking noise. You have a tee with a 90 Degree elbow pointed down then on top of the t fitting a short straight pipe with a cap with a small hole drilled in the center to stop siphoning and the noise. heres a link to a sample of what mine look like.

th.jpg

Very impressive SSB. I've never seen anything like it. :D. Looks like your herbie overflows will work just fine and should be nice and quiet. TJL is right about dual herbies though. They require a bit of retuning and it's VERY important that your tank be perfectly level.

Last edited:
Update. I have been planning a few projects in between getting this thing setup. I am trying to do everything once.

Today was sump day. Got the glass cut and siliconed into the 40 breeder.

15_zpscb913b65.jpg

14_zpsb8e40c4a.jpg

Now just have to wait for it to dry and water test it and then plumb it. Will be fun.

The plan is to implement an ATO so its a little more worry free and less time consuming everyday. Also going to make a manifold off the return to 2 BRS reactors.

In the mean time I have been playing with aquascaping the dry rock I have. Here are a few ideas.

12_zps2bf1fc0f.jpg

11_zps38c6e15a.jpg

Back