Yay...go picasso's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
Looks like my pair of picasso's will be laying eggs any night now. They are currently doing the happy dance.:painkiller:

How old are the picassos? I've had my female 2.5 years and the male about 1.5 and keep waiting for something

How old are the picassos? I've had my female 2.5 years and the male about 1.5 and keep waiting for something

You're not going to like me, but they are just entering adult hood getting their black striped nicely developed. There was another breeder who has been waiting for 3 years for his 3 separate pairs to breed. He finally gave up moved them from the brooding tanks back into an actual reef and wham within 3 months all three were laying eggs.

Youre right....i don't like you. Well maybe they are still getting to know eachother and your female is a little easy

bawhahahha. Your picasso is a whore Seth.

Mine also never layed eggs or did anything. I guess I've been pretty glad all things considered since its my understanding that unless you are really set up for it they just turn into food for your other fish?

LOL Indeed she may be....

Food but nutritious food for the other fish LOL. I will get established once they lay 6-7 clutches.

Summer Lunar cycles seems to boost the "It must be something in the water..." LOL
I had a wild pair that would spawn monthly thru fall. But it was always disapointing that none ever survived predation of the reef. So the hardest part would be the rearing after hatching.

I agree completely. I will set up a breeding station once things settle down a bit. I;ve got too many reef plates on the fire right now with trying to revamp some things within the PSAS, a new tank build from scratch, the greenhouse thing going....etc etc etc

Woke up to a dead female.....Not sure why, but I am about to give up on clowns. Everything else is doing fine but she just went topsy turvy on me and was dead shortly after despite my best efforts. All other fish are doing well. I guess that will teach me to celebrate.

Male is now for sale.

Cy if you see this I will be ordering a new set of some designer clown in the next month or so...once I get over frustration...

Last edited:
Crap. I'm sorry. Maybe the breeding was just to stressful for her? My clowns are the hardiest fish I've ever owned- I can't believe you've had such a hard time with them.

Yeah i agree since they are related to the damsel family they are usually tanks. I think one of the problems we are going to see more of with the clowns is not being as hardy. I say this because the entire idea behind designer clowns has really come from fish that should have been culled in the first place. You could argue that this is weakening the gene pool over time. I am as guilty as the next person for liking them though. All other fish are still fine....so it had to be something with her.

Totally true and I hadn't thought of it like that. I have a regular old clown and a picasso (grade B) in my main display. I got them second hand from someone on CL so have no idea where they came from or how old they really are, but these guys are incredible in terms of hardiness. I hope you don't give up on them quite yet and try again.

Back