Yellow Anemone With Clown

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Does appear to be a dyed anemone, unfortunately. Beautiful Naked clown fish though.

So, you're saying all nem's are dirty white, or brown only?

He's been in the tank for over two months, and looks the same as when I got him. I'm not expert, but don't they fade in 2-3 weeks if dyed?

Last edited:
So, you're saying all nem's are dirty white, or brown only?

He's been in the tank for over two months, and looks the same as when I got him. I'm not expert, but don't they fade in 2-3 weeks if dyed?

Nope, not what I'm saying at all. In fact, a "dirty white" anemone probably isn't very healthy. I've seen anemones in several different colors, and have owned Rose Bubble Tips, Green Bubble Tips and Purple Sebae anemones. However, in all the studying I've done on anemones, I've never heard of a fluorescent yellow one. The dye usually lasts quite awhile. Unfortunately, it's not healthy for the anemone. If you knew the species name of your particular anemone, it might help determine if it's dyed or a naturally encountered color.

Unfortunately, dying anemones is a fairly common practice. Much more common that it should be.

Last edited:
Nope, not what I'm saying at all. In fact, a "dirty white" anemone probably isn't very healthy. I've seen anemones in several different colors, and have owned Rose Bubble Tips, Green Bubble Tips and Purple Sebae anemones. However, in all the studying I've done on anemones, I've never heard of a fluorescent yellow one. The dye usually lasts quite awhile. Unfortunately, it's not healthy for the anemone. If you knew the species name of your particular anemone, it might help determine if it's dyed or a naturally encountered color.

Unfortunately, dying anemones is a fairly common practice. Much more common that it should be.

Ok, thanks. Guess We'll just have to keep an eye on it. I will say, after searching for yellow nem's on the web. They are all that bright/fluorescent yellow. Yes, that looks suspect. Unless mine was done some time age, its never been that bright to the best of my knowledge. You noted never hearing of a "fluorescent yellow one". You mean natural...yes? Are there any yellow nems in the wild then?

Thx...

Nice contrast btwn the anemone and clown...I'm curious too as to what species this particular anemone is.

that is a dyed H crispa, and their natural color should be a "dirty white"/cream with colored tips. On occasion they will survive the dye and return to their normal color, but first they will expell most/all of their zooxanthea along with their dye. If they expel all, it will have less chance of recovery.

Wow...that is so cool. I always wanted to do a species tank with only 2 perculas and a blue carpet anenome.

Back