Yellow nudi or seaslug? Reef Safe? HELP!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanoReefer411

Found this guy under a coral today. What is it? Is it reef safe? I don't want to get rid of it unless it is not reef safe. It is really cute.

101_0350.jpg

101_0345.jpg

That's tough to say. If it's a nudibranch, it's most likely NOT reef safe. I'll move this thread to Leslie's worm forum, for her advice. Not sure when she'll chime in, since she's a busy person, but she'll have the most likely chance of giving you a proper ID.

Is it possible to get a closer photo of it, nice and focused?

I would say it looks like maybe one of the nicer looking flat worms. I think Leslie's forum will be the perfect place for this ID. lol
Sorry I can't ID it though. Hope it's reef safe :)

It has little attenae like the lettuce sea slugs. It also has little frills like it as well. I have had no problems with it in my nano. I have not noticed any coral polyps being missing. I would hate to ditch it if it is safe. It moves like a snail. I tried to get a better picture Michael. It just does not come out clear.

I have seen and researched quite a few nudis, and typically the brightly colored ones are coral eaters, and get their color from what they eat. Chances are, it is NOT reef safe, but it would be worth doing more research before tossing it. It is very pretty.

Hi all -- It's a saccoglossan opistobranch (not a nudi) in the genus Elysia. There are several yellow species. Elysia flava from the Caribbean/Mediterranean is mostly all yellow, Elysia obtusa from the Indo Pacific is yellow with white lines along the edges of the flaps, and Elysia subornata from the Caribbean is yellow with thin brown lines on the edges. They all eat green algae. Yours is looking pretty hungry - if it had fed lately there would be remnants of green algae still in the digestive tract & showing through the skin.

Hi all -- It's a saccoglossan opistobranch (not a nudi) in the genus Elysia. There are several yellow species. Elysia flava from the Caribbean/Mediterranean is mostly all yellow, Elysia obtusa from the Indo Pacific is yellow with white lines along the edges of the flaps, and Elysia subornata from the Caribbean is yellow with thin brown lines on the edges. They all eat green algae. Yours is looking pretty hungry - if it had fed lately there would be remnants of green algae still in the digestive tract & showing through the skin.

Awesome news!! I knew Leslie would know exactly what it is! Sounds like it needs fed!! Feed that poor guy!

Back