Yellow Spots on my Toadstool Leather

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

surf_buddy

Has anyone seen this before or know what it is from, and more impprtantly how to fix it? It looks like yellowish rot to me, and it flakes off when rubbed.

Bump . . .

I do not have any answers, but wanted to keep this thread visible so hopefully someone will chime in to help.

Its dry skin. Rub some skin lotion on it and it should go away.

Seriously though, My leather has this from time to time. I beleive it is either sun burn or a small scale shedding of skin that all leathers do. Its likely nothing to worry about.

Its dry skin. Rub some skin lotion on it and it should go away.

Seriously though, My leather has this from time to time. I beleive it is either sun burn or a small scale shedding of skin that all leathers do. Its likely nothing to worry about.

Thanks trido... I opted for the micoderm abrasion and mud mask... lol.

j/k... I'll keep an eye on it and report back later : )

it could be dying spots of flesh.. i noticed you have some shrooms nearby.. these can cause problems like that sometimes when placed near other corals.. you might try movinh it.. if it persists or gets worse, i would frag off the dead pieces.. make sure you have the leather in an area of nice flow after fragging it

I'll move it tonight, then wait and see. How do you frag this kind of leather if that's what I need to do? Thanks ronj!

definitely necrotic patches... the beginning of a potentially dangerous (and virulent/contagious) infection, if the cause is poor water quality (poor water flow over time... less than 30X turnover... no carbon use and weak water changes that allow chemical allelopathic compounds to accumulate as the months pass by... patricularly from such chemically brutal corals like the mushrooom anemones/corallimorphs)

If you are sure water quality is not the problem... then do look for a predator nipping the tips. Dwarf angels and tangs are most likely at night... some damsels do too.

Please list your fish species.

definitely necrotic patches... the beginning of a potentially dangerous (and virulent/contagious) infection, if the cause is poor water quality (poor water flow over time... less than 30X turnover... no carbon use and weak water changes that allow chemical allelopathic compounds to accumulate as the months pass by... patricularly from such chemically brutal corals like the mushrooom anemones/corallimorphs)

If you are sure water quality is not the problem... then do look for a predator nipping the tips. Dwarf angels and tangs are most likely at night... some damsels do too.

Please list your fish species.

Well I tested all my parameters and everything is great. I do have a blue tang, a blue damsel, many mushrooms, and a green bubble anemone. My tang always sleeps under a rock at night, and i've never seen him move at night. Somethig is nipping as I noticed today that a chunk of xenia was cut loose and lodged ina powerhead.

I also have a Mag 12 for my 55 and two korillia 3s for current, and a refrigum. Perhaps upping the water changes to once every two weeks? Also, I've isolated the leather further from the shrooms. Let's see how it goes :doubt:

crabs are a likely problem... they come in small and grow to be problems.

do see the thread in my sticky called Fav links... look under "discussions" in the posts for that thread... there is a topic on catching fishes and nasties in displays.

the jar method works well for crabs

crabs are a likely problem... they come in small and grow to be problems.

do see the thread in my sticky called Fav links... look under "discussions" in the posts for that thread... there is a topic on catching fishes and nasties in displays.

the jar method works well for crabs

Other than my cleaner crew, hermits and what not, I don't have any crabs that I can see. Are they really small?

Back