yellow tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cobyb

so 2 months ago i bought a hippo tang from the lfs and 2 weeks later i bought a yellow tang from the same lfs. a month ago i found him dead in the live rock, i thought that maybe he got stuck. a week after that my wife bought a nother one from a diffrent store. and i just found him dead on my korilla power head. i have only lost those 2 yellow tangs. all my water perameters all check ok. nobody was picking on them that i could see.
and both of them were eating mysis shrimp along with algae off the rocks.
has anyone had any problems with new yellow tangs, or any suggestions?
thanks all

I'm guessing that none of the fish were quarantined?

How old is the tank?
What exactly are the test measurements?

tangs eat lots of greens. Mysis shrimp and algae off the rock would not be enough to sustain 1 tang let alone 2. You should probably get some Nori sheets and be feeding them a couple times a day at least. Also possible you have some aggression issues between the blue tang and the others. Also fill us in on your setup. Tank dimensions? Livestock?

Tangs are usually a pretty hardy fish. How big are these tangs you are getting. If they are a half dollar or smaller, you might of bought 2 of them that were just starved for too long and were unable to adapt to captive life.

Look in Lee's section, there's a write up in there about what to look for when buying new fish. The smaller the fish, it seems the more delicate they are when it comes to Tangs. If it's only your yellow tang that keeps dying, I'm going to guess they are not healthy from the get go if the rest of your livestock is still doing well.

Here's the Table of contents to Lee's posts: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28276

Here's the topic of purchasing a healthy fish:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28185

i acclimated him for one hour. removed and added water in 15 min. intervals.
he was eating mysis with the other fish just not as much.

thanks big blue

Back