Yellow watchman goby eggs What do I DO ??????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Adam & Crystal way to go, can't wait to see some pics. One thing that I have done in the past to successfully rear some baby clowns was to minimize the number of young to try and save. I did feed egg yolk and 'Liqui-fry Marine' and the trick to feeding egg yolk was using a 5g rearing tank syphon out about a gallon of water and while glass is still wet apply egg yolk sheet and flake food to sides of tank at & above waterline. Replace the removed water using airline as a drip-line slowly exposing the food over a few hours. This was about 16-17 years ago, so with better food choices like maybe even 'Cyclop-eeze' you should be able to raise a fair number of them. With my old-school techniques was only able to raise 20-30 at a time without starving or polluting them to death.

Good Luck, Todd

Adam & Crystal way to go, can't wait to see some pics. One thing that I have done in the past to successfully rear some baby clowns was to minimize the number of young to try and save. I did feed egg yolk and 'Liqui-fry Marine' and the trick to feeding egg yolk was using a 5g rearing tank syphon out about a gallon of water and while glass is still wet apply egg yolk sheet and flake food to sides of tank at & above waterline. Replace the removed water using airline as a drip-line slowly exposing the food over a few hours. This was about 16-17 years ago, so with better food choices like maybe even 'Cyclop-eeze' you should be able to raise a fair number of them. With my old-school techniques was only able to raise 20-30 at a time without starving or polluting them to death.

Good Luck, Todd

thanks this will help i hope.

Good Luck, Todd

According to that YWG breeding article, larval clownfish are about 3-4 times of the YWG larva, so the same size food doesn't apply. Seems even standard rotifers are too big for them.

"They are definitely smaller than newly hatched A. ocellaris clownfish. So, in went the rotifers that we use to raise the clownfish; my fingers are crossed. After a couple of hours of staring at the little dots in the tank trying to determine if the babies are eating, I felt that my eyes were in danger of becoming crossed as well. As a side note, to this day the only reliable method we have found to tell if the newly hatched fry are eating is if they live past the first four days. Well, the days went by and there were fewer and fewer babies in the tank and more and more rotifers. After four days all that remained were eight gallons of a nice, dense rotifer culture."

image001.jpg

Last edited:
Adam, try your old magnifying glass trick...lol!!

Just kidding. Seriously, it'll probably be a week before they'll be large enough to get a pic of. They'll probably go through their metamorphis somewhere between 7-11 days, and then they'll actually be "fish." Before that, they really can't do much more than lay there or float around in the current. Because of this, it'll be important to get the food to them. You might need to give them enough flow to keep them suspended in the water column, where the food is.

well update.. some more eggs hatch all the time.
I just seen two little buggers doing the jitter bug through the water column I have very little flow in there (air hose on a slow pitter) just to stir the pot a bit and a few of them seem to twitch about in the very slow moving water
Still don't know..
Did a 20% water change from the main system to the breeder tank..
all seems well for now but I truly am worried about water quality in the little tank ..and them eating.
I guess I need to get a sponge filter in my sump at least for a week or so
It's better than nothing I guess?!?!

Hey Adam, after reading the article that Brie posted the link to and some others its sounds as though you'll be needing some of the super small size rotifers asap. Something else you may try in the mean time is placing some macro algae out of fuge in with the babies, I'm sure there would be some food source available on it for at least a few to survive long enough to get to the next level.

Todd

Yea Adam, I was thinking along the lines of some type of Caulerpa w/o any pods. But you might be able pull apart the Chaeto enough to rid it of pods and also not to trap the fry in it. Keep us posted.

Todd

when I was doing clown fry the best way I found to do it was just and empty pickle jar it seems the smaller the continer the more concentrated the food and rotifers work best but if you hatch baby brine they hve smaller versions of brine midgets if you will that you can get I did water changes about 1 hour after a heavy feeding and then just put a little brine in incase they were hungy while I was gone or what ever also I didnt use any filter or air stones just slow bubbles I used my baster to clean any debris from the bottom and to remove water for changes in the small container that I floated in my sump to keep temp stable. I am sure you have read all of this already but thought I would share what worked for me.

Adam and Crystal,

I have a sponge in my sump that has been there for several months.

Also have some reef nutrition "roti feast"

Give me a call I could meet you somewhere (use home phone, cell does not work at the farm)

Back