Yet another flow question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatjusto

Hi everyone,
Just a question relating to the flow in my tank(soon to be). I have to closed loops which I will have running off two separate pumps(2900GH each). I am wondering if I should run these both all the time or should I put them on some alternate timer. The reason I ask is I see most people are using one pump on a motorised ball valve, i believe it is to save on the extra pump (correct me if Im wrong), which would be the same as me alternating each pump. Would this be silly of me to run them both at once(6ft tank). From what I gather the more flow the better though right????
Oh yeah it will be housing mainly sps corals

The main reason why people put their pumps on a motorized ball valve is not necessarily to save money on having to buy two pumps, but to save money on buying a replacement pump. Did that confuse you?:p What I mean by that is not very many pumps can go on timers like you are thinking on using your two pumps in your tank where one runs for so many seconds (while the other is off) and then they rotate. Cutting on a pump and shutting it off repeatedly like this can burn up most pumps so people use the motorized ball valves to do it for them with one pump running continuously and the MBV switching the flow from side to side giving them their random flow. So in reality, if you were to put your 2 pumps on timers to alternate (if they can run like that) the flow won't be any different from using a single pump on a motorized ball valve. The only way you will get more flow out of two pumps, is if they both stay on all the time:)

Would this be silly of me to run them both at once(6ft tank). From what I gather the more flow the better though right????
Oh yeah it will be housing mainly sps corals

I really dont think so. Both of mine started out as am3k's and are now am3600's. If I had to do it again I would have gone quite abit larger.

Don
Closed%20loop%20rear%20view.jpg

awesome thanks heaps.

My pumps are able to be turned on and off either, I just had a randomn thought. I think Im just a bit paranoid as Im plumbing my tank up this weekend and want to get it right the first time!!

Im just going with what i originally planned, both pumps full steam.

I ran two pumps as well full blast on a 24 inch 38gal tank and it was really nice flow! Everything seemed happy to me!:)

Back