your best disaster-stoppers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sk8r

What's a precaution you've learned to take that you credit with having saved your tank from calamity?

Mine? I run two thermometers, a little stick-on strip on the sump, a digital probe above, deliberately 2 different types. This catches false readings.

Sk8r said:
What's a precaution you've learned to take that you credit with having saved your tank from calamity?

Mine? I run two thermometers, a little stick-on strip on the sump, a digital probe above, deliberately 2 different types. This catches false readings.

i use two thermometers one in the sump one in the tank, they are off by about 1.5 deg ( dual heaters in the sump ) one set high one set @ 76 one set @ 78 only one comes on 99% of the time

Well I learned the hard way to put marine grade stainless steel hose clamps on any and all hose. Hose popped off and I drained my 125 almost completely including my 35 gallon sump. I'll never make that mistake again.

CHris

Clownguy said:
Well I learned the hard way to put marine grade stainless steel hose clamps on any and all hose. Hose popped off and I drained my 125 almost completely including my 35 gallon sump. I'll never make that mistake again.

CHris

use the plastice lock clamps, they dont slip

When making your own return spout coming from your pump in your sump, drill a whole to break the siphon:D

I learned the hard way to have water alarms on the floor in various spots behind the tank and in the bottom of the stand. It would have saved me from my last water disaster being so bad. Also, I use a controller to control my heaters, that way they can't get stuck on.

Child safe locks on the stand doors. Thats kept little hands out. Also locks on all cabinets and canopies in public places.

Back