your experience>

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aquaticmike

I have had some issues with my phosphates and as a result have had some green hair algae growth in my tanks... since then Ive made an effort to reduce my phosphates, but the hair still exists... I am here to ask everyone what they have done to help erradicate this in means of organisms or animals they've kept that ate the hair algae. All input is appreciated.

I have had some issues with my phosphates and as a result have had some green hair algae growth in my tanks... since then Ive made an effort to reduce my phosphates, but the hair still exists... I am here to ask everyone what they have done to help erradicate this in means of organisms or animals they've kept that ate the hair algae. All input is appreciated.

Thats a tough one. Using critters and fish is sort of hit and miss. Tang do pretty good but if you feed alot then they get lazy. Just good old rock blasting, waterchanges and phosban is a good solution.

Don

I agree with Don W. First of all find out why you are having the problem. Algae is caused by high nitrates or phosphates. Where are your high phosphates coming from? Do you use DI/RO water for changes and top off? How much do you feed and what? What kind of filtrations system do you use? Have a refugium? How's your stocking level?

Tell us more please!

I really suggest the use of astrea snails... they work wonders. IMO better that crabs....

I hate my crabs.... they kill my snails so they can use their shells...

But IMO snails is a really a big big help in controlling my hair algae....

Pull out as much of it by hand first and run some quality GFO. Astrea and turbo snails would be the only animals I would add at this point. If you aren't already, I'd start using RO/DI water.

Good husbandry and a phosban reactor helped me. I used the two little fishies phosban reactor with the Julian Srungs formula:)

Back