Your input?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Red C Aquarium

What do you think about this trigger's fin, there are lumps under the skin near the fin . Do think its a fungus or tumor? Can lympo go internal?

thanks

ARSA

That is a teaser! :)

Not close enough for me to make out the details of that area. Can you get me a photo closer in? maybe fill the photo frame with the area?

Tell me something of the 'texture' of the area. Do you think it is fuzzy or clumpy, like Lymph? Lymph doesn't go internal, but they don't look internal to me. Is the fish 'catachable' for you to rub the area with a gloved hand to see if those lumps are solid?

Tumors do occur, but they usually don't come in groups, so I wouldn't diagnose it as that, just yet.

Thanks Lee.

He says that at the base of the fin it has lumps under the skin per say.

I will try another photo, thanks for your help.

Certainly not a common problem. The next step is to touch them. Either with a gloved hand or rod, I need to know if they are flexible, rigid, hard, or soft.

Were they there when the fish was acquired or did they show up after? How long has the fish been in captivity?

He says they are firm,rigid with a silky feel.

hope that helps, how do you think we could go about fixing the uglyness?
Certainly not a common problem. The next step is to touch them. Either with a gloved hand or rod, I need to know if they are flexible, rigid, hard, or soft.

Were they there when the fish was acquired or did they show up after? How long has the fish been in captivity?

I'm stumped on the diagnosis. Need some diagnosis, even a presumptive diagnosis would be welcomed.

There are many 'skin cell' diseases, however the work done on them are those that affect freshwater species. Going just by the numbers, the majority of them are 'attacked' by internal medications. However, in freshwater species the pathogen is rarely treatable once it gets the foothold represented by the photos provided here.

At this point I would try an antibiotic (or group of antibiotics) that are fed the fish (inside). There are a few of them, but really they aren't much good, since what they do rarely addresses things that go wrong with our marine fishes. However in this case, they may just be the proper answer.

Find a medicated fish food or a medication you can add to the food. I have no suggestions -- just get an antibiotic for sure. Follow the directions that come with the medication.

;)

Back