Your opinion - will 6 t5 bulbs do the trick?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

estanoche

Lions stalk orcas!
RF Premium Member
OK - question before the house At least my thinking point for the week...

I am working in a custom canopy for my new tank, and have about 48" to light, at a depth of 22". I was originally thinking of using t5s, but I'm second guessing myself :)

Given the width of the smallest kinds of t-5 reflectors (2" wide) the most I can fit are 6 48" bulbs across my 14" wide tank, given my overflow width...

I could go with a DIY LED system. Since the LEDs have a smaller footprint, I should be able to pack a ton of them in there, then I just have to deal with the cost and unproven technology.

Will 6 T5 bulbs (probably 5.5 once the overflow shadows some light) be enough for SPS & clams in a 22"D tank?

you will be fine with those six and you could get creative and squeeze 8 i there just but them on the sides at an angle and use these as a dusk/dawn effect.

You know my thoughts...lol.

You'll be just fine with 6 T5s. If you decide to go retro-fit, I have a 6 bulbX48" reflector you can have. It'll need to be polished.

Haha - well I was just worrying 6 may not be enough, and that id want 8 ;) I'll probably be using the t5 areas for LPS and zoas anyway, so its probably no biggie... but overkill is key!

putting 1 or two on the sides of the canopy is a good idea too - hadn't thought of how I was gonna do my dusk/dawn yet :eek: Haven't done it for years since my tank has just had a single MH, so i'd almost forgotten it was an option!

I have 6 T5's on my 75... 18" front to back... with overflow etc etc.. I think you will be fine. Also be carefull not to under estimate t5 specially depending on the bulb combination you are going to have... I have to raise my lights 16" above water line on new bulbs and slowly lower it weekly... hope this helps.

Right now I have 5 blues and 1 pink...

FULLSHOT_2009-10_T5HOX6.jpg

And if you think that is not enough then you can always do 3 blues and 3 whites... or 4 whites and 2 blues.. depends on your taste...

Last edited:
6 T5's sounds like a LOT for a tank that is only 14" wide. I would only do four or maybe five and feel comfortable growing anything in it, based on its height. I took PAR readings in my 24" deep tank with 8 T5 retrofit bulbs in it, and while I didn't get crazy high PAR near the top like MH's or LEDs get, I got a very even and very consistent 200 PAR all the way down to the sand bed. This is good.

That being said, if you are interested in LEDs check this thread out:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53259

If you have some DIY skills you can put together a Very powerful LED fixture for the same cost as a nice MH setup.

Back