Yuma vs Floridae ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jobiwan

Hi, I'm having trouble finding info on ricordea identification, specifically how to tell if the solid red strain I've got going is FL or Yuma, any help would be appreciated, best regards, Joe

Can you post a pic? It's really easy(well most of the time) once you know what to look for. One of the main things is yumas have the bumps further apart.

The easiest way to differentiate between a Yuma and a Florida is that the Yuma will have small bumps surrounding the mouth area. In the Florida, there are no bumps surrounding the mouth.

Best,
Ilham

Yuma's have bumps on the mouth and Florida's don't This pink Yuma has bumps on it's mouth. It's a baby one so the bumps aren't very prominent quite yet. The Ricordia on the bottom is a Florida.
IMG_0348-Edit.jpg

IMG_5375-Edit.jpg

Thanks Guys and Gals, I appreciate the help, I am certain based on what I've learned that this is a Yuma, tell me what you think, the first photo is without the flash, I'm not much of a photographer, so the focus is not the best, the true color is more of a dark red, the orange color is what I would call an artifact,,,This is the only yuma in my ric collection, everything else is florida....
DSC_0001-10.jpg
DSC_0002-7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, they are propagating well, they are the progeny of a few bits of tissue that were all that survived of my ric when a heater ran away almost 2 years ago, the yuma melted down to glop and I saved a few pieces that were less than 1/4", just a few cells clumped together, I isolated them and I'll be damned if they didn't all turn into healthy rics. Anyway, I have been cutting them in half and getting 100% survival, I'll have some to trade eventually...

Back