Zenia melting????????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
Well just saturday morning I noticed some silver zenia I have growing is hanging off the rock and melting. Then sunday more if the group is melting and falling off the rock. Other patches are fine and no coral are looking bad. I'm not worried about loosing the zenia ,I was about to pull it off that rock anyways, it was getting out of control. That patch was the fastest growing patch in the tank. I don't know whats going on.

I had this same problem with my 10 inch Kenya.
It melted down to a little blob.
Finally I pulled it.
Now I have a little baby incher or so that came back out of no where.
Dunno what it was, all levels were fine. Nothing had been changed in months.
Just one of those things I guess.
Good luck

Last week all my xenia melted, I narrowed it down to a short circuiting pump in my tank. In my case i also lost a bunch of sps. I would double check and make sure this is not happening to you also.

I've heard that if you have "too clean" of a tank that xenia tend to die off. I had the same problem with a few silver xenia, I added a phosban/carbon reactor, and a bio-pellet reactor to my tank and the xenia literally started shrinking and dying over the course of a week or so, but everything else in my tank did great. Don't know how much truth there is to it, but maybe just a thought.

Will

My waters not too clean.....not yet. I have a bunch of fish and waste. It's weird that only the one colony is doing it. I was going to pull it out anyways because it was growing so fast and was going to take over my bird of paridise. Well I just added the bigger refuge and bigger skimmer 3 days ago so more xenia may be dieing if it's from too clean of water.

Thats happend in two of my tanks.
About two years ago the blue xenia in the 75 just dissapeared. The waving hand anthelia was covering an area approx 8 X 8" square. Over the past few months, its been dwindling down to nothing. The last little piece dissapeared completely yesterday.
I think it might be the lack of phosphates maybe.

Xenia can over take you tank and then just melt away within a week or 2. Happens often and I do not think anyone really knows why. And once they start to melt, nothing seems to stop them. Wait 6-12 months and try again, Has happened to me when there was no changes to anything, waited a year,and now a micro plug of them has taken over the tank.

Back